Public health is about creating communities where everyone has positive wellbeing and health, it's not just about health services and treating diseases, it's much wider and includes housing, social care, sport and fitness, improving education, employment and tackling the underlying causes of illness and unhappiness.
Through research we look at the effect that factors such as genetics, personal choice and the environment have on your health. We use this evidence to develop programmes, educate, promote healthy lifestyles and prevent disease and injury.
Some of the worldwide achievements of public health include:
- Increased life expectancy
- Reduced infant and child mortality
- Elimination and reduction of many communicable diseases for example TB, Flu, Measles
Some of the programmes public health is involved in:
- Leeds Let’s Get Active
- Breastfeeding Friendly Leeds
- Leeds Lets Change
- Bowel cancer campaign (Your poo can save you)
- Lung cancer campaign (Got a cough, get a check)
- Ministry of Food
You can find more information about improving your health in the Related Pages and the Documents sections on this page.
If you have a query please contact us.