• A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Private tenants

Dealing with problems in private rented accommodation.

Our service deals with the repair, maintenance and safety of privately rented property. We can take action against landlords to get repairs completed. We don't deal with contractual issues; non-return of deposits; ‘quality’ issues or tenants who wish to be re-housed.

There are links in the Related pages section to other areas of the council which may be able to help with these. Read on for more advice in resolving your housing-related problems. 

Click to expandHave you told your landlord about the problem?

Have you contacted your landlord? Do they know what the problem is and have you given them enough time to sort it out? Except for emergencies, we would suggest that you first speak to your landlord/agent and confirm in an email/letter your issues.

Here's a letter you can use to fill in and send to your landlord.

Please Click Here

Remember to  keep a copy of any correspondence. Contact us if this doesn’t work.

Click to expandWhat if my repair is urgent?

If you have an urgent repair for example a defective central heating boiler or unsafe gas/electrics and your landlord isn’t dealing promptly with your request then use the contact us section on this page and we will investigate the issues you raise.​

Click to expandWhat if my landlord is a UNIPOL/Leeds Accredited Landlord?

If you have non-urgent matters to report and your landlord is a member of the Leeds Landlords’ Accreditation Scheme or UNIPOL you should contact the operators of these schemes by using the External Links or link below on this page. They will investigate the issues you raise.​​​​

UNIPOL advice

Click to expandWill you come and inspect my property?

If your landlord has not undertaken works you have asked him/her to do, we have staff who can come out and inspect your property. If we find hazards at the property arising from disrepair we can ask the landlord to remove these and serve legal notices. ​

Click to expandHow can I complain about my property manager or agent?

If you are in dispute with your agent/property manager there is a property redress scheme you can contact which will help you. All property managers and managing agents by law have to be part of a property redress scheme and abide by the codes of this scheme. It is an offence for your agent not to be a member.

See the external links section on this page for information on how to check if your manager is registered and how to refer a dispute to the scheme. If you have checked and found your agent isn’t a member of one of the property redress schemes, you can report this to us and we will investigate. Use the contact us section on this page to either email or telephone us.​

Click to expandI'm having problems with my tenancy deposit.

If you’re having problems with your tenancy deposit you can contact  the tenancy deposit scheme through the ‘External Link’ entitled ‘Check if your tenancy deposit is protected’.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?