Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Keeping pets and animals

goldfish in a bowl

Before you consider buying a pet you need written permission from Leeds City Council as there are restrictions for keeping animals in a council home.

Prospective tenants will be advised of any restrictions on keeping pets and animals when a property is offered to them.

The Pets Policy has been developed after consultation with tenants and animal welfare organisations.


There is a quick guide to the Pets Policy (PDF 38kb) available to download.

Requesting permission

Written permission from Leeds City Council is required to keep a pet in a council home.

Permission is granted on the basis that you abide by the Pets Policy. 

In properties where pets are permitted, you can keep small domestic pets, such as rabbits, rodents, fish and caged birds and a maximum of two dogs or cats (eg a total of 2 animals)

Apply for permission using the application form link below.

Application form to keep a pet

Refusal of permission

Permission will be refused in some circumstances, for example:

If you request to keep more pets than the policy allows (a maximum of 2 cats or dogs and a reasonable number of smaller animals).

You request to keep wild animals, livestock or dangerous animals.

Pets are not allowed in the type of property you live in, such as high rise blocks and flats with a communal entrance.

If you have a history of animal neglect or cruelty.

If the pet causes a nuisance, frightens or annoys people or damages council property.

Permission can be refused on other grounds. If we refuse permission we will write to you to let you know the reasons for our decision.

Your tenancy agreement

Your tenancy agreement states that you must abide by the pets policy.  Failing to do so could result in tenancy enforcement action including the loss of your home.

Did you find the information you were looking for?