A discount will only apply where the mentally-impaired person lives in the property as their main home. If two or more people live there besides the mentally-impaired person, a discount will not normally apply (unless all the other people - or all but one of them - fall into a discount class themselves).
To qualify for this discount, all of the following points must apply:
- the person must have a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent;
- a registered medical practitioner (such as his or her doctor) must confirm this by filling in part B on the back of the claim form;
- the mentally-impaired person must be entitled to one of the benefits below (or would be entitled if they were not of pensionable age, or if their partner was not getting a premium in their Job Seeker’s Allowance for them):
- Incapacity Benefit
- A Constant Attendance Allowance
- A Severe Disablement Allowance
- Care component of a Disability Living Allowance, paid at the highest
or middle rate
- An Unemployability Supplement
- An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension
- An Unemployability Allowance
- Income Support where applicable amount includes disability premium
- The disability element of Working Tax Credit
- An Attendance Allowance
- Employment & Support Allowance
If you would like to claim this discount, download the application form below.
If all the residents in a property qualify for this discount, and they would usually be liable for the property, then an exemption from Council Tax applies. You can use the same claim form to apply for that exemption.
Severely mentally-impaired people cannot be held jointly and severally liable with non-impaired people. This means that where, for example, a husband and wife live together and one of them qualifies for the discount, the other one will be the sole liable person.
In line with Data Protection law, we may use information you give us to prevent or detect fraud or other crimes. We may also share it with other Council services or public organisations if they need it in order to carry out their legal duties.