Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Benefit Overpayments

The amount of benefit you get to help you pay your rent and council tax depends on what you tell us when you make your claim. If your circumstances change then your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support may change too.

Some examples of changes you must tell us about are:

  • a change in your income and/or savings
  • a change of address
  • children who leave school and / or start working
  • other adults or children moving in / out of your home
  • a change in the income of other adults in your household

If you receive Housing Benefit and your personal circumstances do change, and you do not tell us straight away, we may pay you too much Housing Benefit and. This is called an overpayment.  You can avoid an overpayment if you know a change is going to take place by telling us in writing before it happens or telling us as soon as the change happens.
It is your responsibility to tell us about any change in your circumstances.

If you do not tell us about a change in your circumstances and we pay you too much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, we will ask you to pay the money back.

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit we will write and tell you:

  • that there has been an overpayment of benefit
  • the reason for the overpayment
  • the amount of benefit you have been overpaid
  • how we worked out the overpayment
  • how we will recover the overpayment:

If you are still getting Housing Benefit we may take an amount from your future Housing Benefit payments to claim back the money you have been overpaid. We will write and tell you before we do this and we will tell you how much we are going to take.
If you are experiencing financial hardship and want to repay the overpayment at a reduced amount please contact the recovery section on telephone 0113 247 6666. Alternatively, you can email the recovery section on HB.Recovery@leeds.gov.uk or write to us at Leeds City Council, Revenues and Benefits Service, P.O. Box 60 Leeds, LS2 8JR
If you are no longer getting Housing Benefit you will receive a bill for the amount you have been overpaid. This will tell you how you can pay the money back

If you disagree with a Housing Benefit overpayment decision you can ask for it to be looked at again. You must ask us to look at the decision again, in writing within one calendar month of the date the letter was sent to you.

If you receive more Council Tax Support than you are entitled to, we will send you a new Council Tax Bill with the reduced amount of Council Tax Support. If you disagree with a decision about your Council tax Support you can ask us to review the decision and we will look at our decision again within 2 months of your request


If we have looked again at your case and you are still not happy you can appeal. You can find an appeals form with guidance notes in the 'documents' section of this page.