Making a Public Liability Claim
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Making a Public Liability Claim

How to make a claim

If you believe an accident or loss you have suffered is as a direct result of actions or negligence on behalf of Leeds City Council and you wish to claim compensation from us, please print off either a Claim Form (Word document 171KB) or a Highways Claim Form (Word document 121KB). These can be completed electronically but must be printed and returned to the address on the form as soon as possible.

Reporting a dangerous defect on road, footway or verge

If your accident was a direct result of a dangerous defect in the road, footway or verge then please report the defect online. If you feel that the defect needs immediate attention to prevent another very serious accident, please report it to the highways helpline on 0113 222 4407 in order that we may carry out a repair to prevent any further incidents.

How claims are assessed

All claims are assessed individually and fairly and where our highways services are to blame we will seek to settle the claim as quickly as possible. Please note, however, that we have a responsibility to council tax payers to ensure all claims received are legitimate. We and our insurers have an anti-fraud system in place to assist us in detecting and taking appropriate action against fraudulent claimants. This system gives us and our insurers the right to use and share with outside agencies and neighbouring authorities the information you have provided.

We must advise you there is no automatic right to compensation. Before any compensation claim can be made it will be necessary for you to demonstrate there has been a breach in Section 41 of the Highways Act 1980 on the part of the highways services and you have suffered an injury or loss.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?