• A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Living in a house with multiple occupants

If you rent rooms or flats within a single property to a number of tenants, it may be considered a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). A property is a HMO if it is let as a main or only home to at least three tenants, who form more than one household and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.

If you are a tenant in shared accommodation, you may live in an HMO. These properties can be an entire house, flat or converted building or any of the following:

    • bedsits
    • shared houses
    • households with a lodger
    • purpose-built HMOs
    • hostels
    • guesthouses
    • bed and breakfast providing accommodation for homeless people
    • some types of self-contained flats converted from houses

HMO Licensing.
A HMO must have a licence if it:

  • comprises of three or more storeys AND;
  • is occupied by five or more persons who form more than one household AND;
  • there is some sharing of facilities.

If you need any more help or advice please use the contact us section.

Did you find the information you were looking for?