Housing Benefit
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Housing Benefit

How to check your housing benefit payments

Please log in to our online portal to view details of your housing benefits payments or council tax.

Help with paying your rent

If you live in Leeds and pay rent you can apply for help towards your rent by claiming Housing Benefit. The amount you get will be based on the housing needs of you, your family and your income. You cannot get Housing Benefit to help with mortgage payments, but you can get advice about this from the Department for Works and Pensions.

If your rent includes bills, insurance or meals, Housing Benefit will not cover these costs. The amount of Housing Benefit you get depends on:
  • the amount of rent you pay
  • your income (and your partner’s income if you have one)
  • your savings
  • the number of children that live with you
  • other people in your household and their income (these are called non dependants and for more information see the related page non dependants)
  • if you or someone in your family is ill or has a disability and
  • how many bedrooms your family needs

How do you work how many bedrooms my family needs?

You are allowed one bedroom for:
  • each adult couple
  • any other adult (aged 16 or over)
  • any two children under 10
  • any two children of the same sex under 16
  • or any other child.

Am I eligible for housing benefit?

Before you complete the benefits claim form (PDF 2.87MB), use the benefits calculator to work out your benefit entitlement.

How do I apply to claim?

You will need to download the benefits claim form (PDF 2.87MB). You can also download the new claim information booklet (PDF 599KB) which tells you about the benefit claim process and the information we need from you. You can also get these from a one stop centre. You can hand in your completed form at a one stop centre, or if you are a council tenant, at your local housing office.


If you want to claim housing benefit but are self-employed you'll also need to complete our self-employed income and expenditure form (Word 62KB) and send it back to us along with any other forms we've asked you to complete.

Backdating rules

From 1 April 2016 the maximum period for which a housing benefit claim may be backdated is one month.  This applies to working age only.

For pension age the maximum period for which a housing benefit claim may be backdated is still 3 months.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you get Housing Benefit but need further help with your rent costs then you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Renting from a private landlord

If you rent from a private landlord your housing benefit will be paid through the Local Housing Allowance scheme. For more information see the Local Housing Allowance page.

Renting from the council or a housing association

If you are a working age tenant living in a council or housing association property with more bedrooms than your family needs, your housing benefit may be reduced. Working age means below the age when you are eligible to claim pension credit. You can check the age you will be able to claim Pension Credit on the gov.uk website.

Keeping us up to date - changes in your circumstances

It is important you update us with any relevant changes in your circumstances relating to benefits you're receiving. Please take a look at the Changes in Circumstances page for more information.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Click to expandWhat if I have more bedrooms than I am allowed?

If you are a working age tenant living in a council or housing association property your Housing Benefit will be reduced if you have  more bedrooms than your family needs. Working age is below the age when you are eligible to claim Pension Credit.

You can check the age you will be able to claim Pension Credit by using the external link to GOV.UK.

Click to expandExceptions to the Under Occupancy charge

An additional bedroom is allowed for foster children, including approved foster carers who are waiting for a child to be placed with them.

Those serving in the armed forces who return to their parents home during their leave are also allowed an additional bedroom.

An additional bedroom may also be allowed for disabled children who because of their disability are unable to share a bedroom.

Customers with adult children who are away at University but continue to live with their parents and intend to return home will be allowed an additional bedroom. The temporary absence must not be for more than 52 weeks.

Click to expandBenefit Cap


The benefit cap sets a limit on the total amount in benefits that most working-age people can claim. You can find more details by visiting our Benefit cap page​​.​

Click to expandBackdating benefits

If, for whatever reason, you wish to have your benefits backdated, please also fill out the 'Backdate request' form (PDF295KB) along with your original claim form.​​

Click to expandInformation sharing agreement

If you ​want us to share information about a claim you have already made with someone else please use this information sharing agreement (PDF189KB), which can be found in the Documents section of these pages. If you are already filling out a new claim form you won't need this as there is already a section in there for this.

Click to expandDirect payments - Housing Associations

For Housing Association tenants - if you want your housing benefit paid directly to your Housing Association please fill out and send in the 'Direct ​payment request for HA form' within the Documents section.

Click to expandSecond properties

If you ha​ve made a claim and need to provide more information about a second property that you own please use the Second Property form (PDF70KB) from the Documents section on this page.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?