Report a repair
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Report a repair

Before reporting a repair, remember some minor repairs are your responsibility. Please read the Repairs and Maintenance handbook (PDF 900KB) for full details.

We have produced a series of films which will help you with some minor repairs you can do yourself - go to our DIY repair videos page to view them.

You can request routine repairs to your council home by using our online service and telling us when you are available for the repair works. You cannot request urgent/emergency repairs using the online system. See the related pages section for information on reporting emergency repairs.

You can also request a repair by:

When you request a repair we will ask you:

  • your name, address, and phone number
  • to provide your rent account number
  • what and where the repair is
  • when you are available to allow access

We will advise you:

  • if it is your responsibility to carry out the repair
  • if you will need to pay for the repair
  • about your repair order number – this will make it easier for you if you need to speak to us in the future
  • a date when the repair will carried out or the appointment date if one is available
  • If a choice of morning or afternoon appointment is available

IMPORTANT - If you are out when our contractor calls, your job will be cancelled and you will need to report the repair again and arrange a new appointment.​ To find out the timescales for completing a job please read the repairs handbook​.

PLEASE NOTE - You cannot book appointments for Sundays.​​​

Click to expandChasing up a repair request

​If you have already requested a repair and would like to find out the status of the request then you can telephone the contractors.

Repair contractors
Leeds Building Services: 08001884000
Easaway Draincare: 0113 2606767
Mears: 0333 600 6160

Gas contractors
Mears: 0113 3872240
PH Jones: 0113 4673570​
Liberty: 0330 3338 383 ​(from 1st April for West Leeds)​

Click to expandReporting a repair for someone else

If you would like to give permission for someone else, such as a relative, a support agency, or a designated person to deal with any issues, on your behalf, please complete and return the advocacy consent form (PDF 26KB)

By signing the advocacy form you are giving your consent for us to share the information we hold on your tenancy records, with the person or organisation you have named.

If you want to give permission to one or more people or organisations, you will need to complete a separate form for each. ​

Click to expandDamp and mould

Damp can be caused by many things including as poor ventilation.
Our guide contains information on damp and mould and how you might be able to sort the problem. ​​

Guide to sorting out damp and mould (PDF 561KB)

Click to expandMaking improvements to your home

​To make improvements to your home you must get written permission from us first. Your request should be put in writing on a form you can get from any Housing Office or One Stop Centre.

You will receive a written response with our decision but sometimes a home visit may be necessary to discuss your request in more detail. We will check that the completed work would be safe and will assess the effect on the property and other people.

If we do not give permission, we will give our reason. For example, the improvement may affect your safety or our ability to maintain and repair your home.

Examples of improvement work can include:

• installing kitchens or bathrooms
• installing gas or electric fires
• installing showers
• installing burglar alarms
• any electrical additions or alterations, including new wiring
• installing laminate flooring
• building conservatories, sheds and garages
• installation of a ‘hard standing’
• erect fencing
• built in wardrobes and cupboards
• removing or filling walls

Work should not start without permission and must be carried out by a competent person. Gas fittings must be done by a GasSafe registered engineer. Electrical work must be done by registered NICEIC or ECA installers.​

Click to expandBogus callers

We, and our contractors, will always introduce ourselves, show our identification (ID) card and explain why we are visiting you. We will always inform you when we are leaving your home.

Please watch out for bogus callers!

You should always be wary when someone you don’t know comes to the doorstep. Most callers are genuine but sometimes people turn up unannounced, intending to trick their way into your home. Bogus callers may be smartly dressed, or in work-wear and claim to be from the council or our contractors.

Before you let anyone into your home to carry out repairs, always ask to see their identity card.

Click to expandImprovements and alterations to your home

​Before carrying out improvements or adaptations to your home you must seek permission from us.

You should take full details of the improvements/alternation to your local housing office to log your request for the improvements/alternation works.

We may request further information or arrange for an inspection before making a decision.

Your local housing officer will provide you with appropriate advice and the procedures on granting consent.

You must ensure your improvements/adaptations works meet Building Control and Health and Safety Regulations.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?