Home contents insurance
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Home contents insurance

Housing Leeds can help tenants and leaseholders to obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable

From 1st July 2017 our insurance premiums will be decreasing slightly. Please note that a new application form will be available from 30th June 2017 on the website to reflect these changes.

Leeds City Council does not automatically insure the contents of your home. It is your responsibility to insure your belongings, and we strongly advise that you do this. We offer a low cost insurance scheme through Royal Sun Alliance that is specifically designed for tenants.

The scheme is available to all Leeds City Council tenants and leaseholders and covers your belongings in the event of fire, theft, vandalism or water damage. The policy is simple to arrange, there is no excess and no annual contract so you can cancel at any time.

For more information, including details of insurance premiums payable and how to apply for this insurance, please download the Insurance Policy Application form (PDF 247KB).

Alternatively, you can collect an application form from your local Housing Office or One Stop Centre, or apply online. Before using the online application form, you must read the pdf application form above.​

​​ ​​

Frequency asked questions

Click to expandHow do I apply?

Full information about the scheme is included on the application form. Please read this document carefully to ensure that you select the most appropriate level and type of cover to meet your requirements. Please print and complete the application form, and return it to your local housing office or one stop centre. Alternatively, copies of the application form are available at your local housing office or one stop centre.

Click to expandDoes the scheme automatically cover me for accidental cover?

No. If you would like the policy to include accidental damage you will need to take out the Simple+ cover. More information relating to this is included within the application form.

Click to expandDo I have to renew my policy every year?

No, your policy will be automatically renewed on a yearly basis, unless you request it to be cancelled. You will be notified each year when it is due for renewal, and advised of any changes to the policy.

Click to expandHow do I submit a claim against the policy?

A claim form is available to download below, or you can contact Royal & Sun Alliance direct on 0845 671 8171. As you will need to sign a declaration for the claim the simplest way to submit a claim is by completing the form.​

To get an update on an existing claim, please contact the insurer directly.

Insurance policy claim form

Click to expandHow do I make changes to my insurance policy?

It is important that you tell us if any of your details change.  If you do not tell us about any changes, a claim might be rejected. 

If you would like to make any changes to your policy, including a decrease or increase to the amount of cover this request should be made in writing to your Housing Office.

If you would like to add a joint policy holder place complete the Adding a joint policy holder form below. You will receive written confirmation once the changes have been made to your policy.

Adding a joint policy holder form

Click to expandHow do I cancel my policy?

If you have recently applied for insurance and having examined your policy you decide not to proceed with the insurance, you will have 14 days to cancel it starting on the day you receive the policy documentation. On receipt of your written notice we will refund any premiums already paid, unless we have been notified of a claim. Your written cancellation will need to be provided to your local Housing Office.

After this period you can cancel your insurance policy by providing 2 weeks written notice to your local Housing Office.

You will receive written confirmation once the policy has been cancelled. If this not be received within 2 weeks please contact your Housing Office.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?