Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Essential website maintenance

This weekend the following services will be unavailable from 4:30pm Friday 23 Jan: Where I Live, Check your bin day, Find my nearest and all pages with maps on. Services will be back online by 8am Monday 26 Jan. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Find out what benefits carers are entitled to

As a carer you may be able to claim several benefits, and receiving one can mean you qualify for others. The main benefit for carers is Carer's Allowance.

Carer's Allowance
This benefit for carers is only available under certain circumstances. You must spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person who receives either Attendance Allowance or Disability Allowance at middle rate or highest rate. If you are working or receiving certain other benefits you may not be able to have both. For detailed rules and an online claim form please visit the DirectGov website using the External links section on this page.

Other benefits
Carers may also be entitled to other benefits from the government too, such as:

  • Council tax help
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support or Pension Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Disability and Living Allowance
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Help with health costs
  • Social Fund
  • Housing Benefit

Help with claiming
If you are not sure which benefits you are entitled to, or need help then please contact:

Carers Leeds: 0113 380 4300

Citizens Advice Bureau: 0844 477 4788 and local offices

Leeds City Council Welfare Benefits Service: 0113 376 0452​​