How to get social care and support for adults
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

How to get social care and support for adults

​What is adult social care and support?

Care and support for adults is the term used to describe the help some people aged over 18 need to live as well as possible with their illness, disability or other problems. It can include help with things like washing, dressing, eating, getting out and about and keeping in touch with family and friends.

Adults who may need extra care and support include:

  • older people
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with physical disabilities
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with drug and/or alcohol issues
  • carers

Whether you prefer support in your own home or in a residential care home, it's important that you are allowed to control the care and support you receive.

How do I get support?

Please call us on 0113 222 4401 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) and tell us about the difficulties you're experiencing. This can be done by you, a family member, a friend, your doctor or anybody else who thinks you might need some extra support. If you have difficulty using the telephone please email us at

We will then help and advise you, which could include arranging for you to have a needs assessment or directing you to other services that can help you. 

If you need to make urgent contact with us outside of office hours please read our Weekend and evening emergencies page.

Are you a Deaf British Sign Language (BSL) user?

You can use SignVideo Access Points to communicate with us instantly through an online professional BSL video interpreter. More information is available on the SignVideo BSL Live page.​​​​​​

Click to expandSupport for prisoners

​For prisoners and others who live in approved premises, such as bail hostels, social care services can support rehabilitation. If a person meets particular criteria, the prison's or approved premises' local council must provide their care and support.

Just like anyone else, prisoners and people in approved premises who can afford to must pay part or the full cost of their care. If a prisoner receiving care and support moves to another prison, the Care Act states that their care and support continues.

The council may also assess the new or continuing help a person will need when they are released into the community.​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?