Universal free school meals for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 pupils
From September 2014 all children in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England will receive free school meals.
Please see the frequently asked questions section for more information. Further information is available at the school food plan website and the children's food trust website.
We’re working hard to make sure our school lunches are tasty, and healthy, as well as making lunchtime comfortable and fun for everyone.
Year 3 and above
If you’re on benefits, your child may be entitled to free school meals no matter what year they are in which could save you £420 per year per child.
You are entitled to free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190, provided they are not receiving Working Tax Credit
- The ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Please note: People receiving Working Tax Credit, regardless of their income level, do not qualify.
To claim please speak to your child's school. Further information can be found on our How to claim free school meals page.
To find out if you are eligible ask at the school office or call Leeds Revenues and Benefits Service on 0113 222 4404.
Year 10 pupils in Leeds have recorded a series of videos which are available to view on YouTube.