Food poisoning and infectious diseases
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Food poisoning and infectious diseases

Food poisoning

If you believe you are suffering from food poisoning caused by eating food bought in Leeds e.g. at a restaurant, take away or shop please contact the food and health team using the Suspected food poisoning form.

For any medical advice, please consult your doctor.

Information about the food establishment involved will be passed onto the food safety team. They carry out food hygiene inspections, investigate food complaints and outbreaks of suspected food poisoning and are responsible for monitoring food hygiene and safety in food businesses in Leeds.

For more information on food, food hygiene and monitoring, visit our food page.

To report an issue with food that you have purchased please use the Report contaminated food form.

To report an issue with a food premises please use the Report issues with a food premises form.

Infectious diseases

In order to try and control outbreaks of infectious diseases, the Public Health Act 1984 requires all occurrences of certain diseases be reported to the local authority. These are known as 'notifiable diseases'.

Our environmental health service receives information on cases and suspected outbreaks of notifiable diseases from doctors, laboratories and the public. We investigate the reports and arrange any necessary action to stop the disease from spreading.

We work with Public Health England to stop spread of diseases in the city. In particular we investigate individual cases and outbreaks of gastro enteritis. We do this in partnership with NHS nurses from Community Health Care who also provide guidance for control of outbreaks in nursing and residential homes, day-centres, children’s settings and education establishments. Guidance on managing outbreaks in different types of establishments is available in the documents section.

We also have advice for anyone attending petting farms and other sites with livestock available in our Avoiding Infection on Farm Visits - Public Health Factsheet (PDF 702KB).

Further information can also be obtained from Public Health England.​​​​​​​​

Avian Influenza

You can find out the latest information about Avian Influenza in the UK on the GOV.UK Animal Diseases page.

It is vital that all bird keepers in the United Kingdom (UK) continue to practice the highest levels of biosecurity and remain vigilant for any signs of disease. If you are concerned about the health of your birds you should seek advice from your veterinary surgeon. If you suspect that your birds have avian influenza, you should report it to your local Animal Health Office immediately.

Wild birds and kept birds
This advice, provided by Defra, applies in all circumstances where members of the public may come across dead birds.

Members of the public are asked to report incidents where they find five or more dead birds in the same place and at the same time, by contacting the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) helpline on 03459 33 55 77. This is because of the UK’s programme for surveillance for avian influenza in wild birds.

If you find any single dead birds (or less than five), including garden birds, then you do not need to call the DEFRA Helpline. You should leave the bodies alone, or follow the guidelines for disposal given by Defra.

For advice for keepers of birds and animals, and for members of the public, visit the GOV.UK Biosecurity page. ​​​​​​​

Click to expandWhat diseases are notifiable?

These are diseases that are currently notifiable under the regulations from 2010:

Acute encephalitis
Acute meningitis
Acute poliomyelitis
Acute infectious hepatitis
Enteric fever (typhoid or paratyphoid fever)
Food poisoning
Haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS)
Infectious bloody diarrhoea
Invasive group A streptococcal disease and scarlet fever
Legionnaires Disease
Meningococcal septicaemia
Scarlet fever
Viral haemorrhagic fever
Whooping cough
Yellow fever

Did you find the information you were looking for?