Sheltered (or retirement) housing is suitable for people who like to live independently but like to know they are not alone in case of an emergency. Sheltered housing can either be made up of bungalows, self-contained flats or bedrooms. We provide sheltered housing along with housing associations, charities and independent organisations. There is a full list of sheltered housing in the Leeds Care Homes and Housing Options Directory which can be found in the in the Documents section. You can also see what sheltered housing is available by visiting the Leeds Homes website. A link can be found in the External links section.
How to apply for sheltered housing
To apply for sheltered housing you first need to register with Leeds Homes. Either:
- download, complete and return the Leeds Homes membership form which can be found in the Documents section
- speak to a Leeds Homes advisor on 0113 222 4413
- visit your local Housing Office or One Stop Centre if you would like to speak to someone in person
Extra Care housing
Extra Care housing offers primarily people aged over 55 independent living in a home of their own with the services on-site if they need them. It is purpose built accessible housing that enables people to stay independent and to look after themselves for longer. Housing management, care and support and domestic services are readily available in Extra Care housing.
A range of support services may be available on site including:
- help with personal care
- access to meals
- help with domestic support, such as laundry, shopping and preparing meals
- round-the-clock access to care if needed
- social and leisure activities
- emergency on-site response
For further information please contact Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401.