Some occupied properties qualify for an exemption from Council Tax, so there is no Council Tax to pay for them. These are:
- Property where all the residents are full-time students and/or student nurses.
- Property where all the residents are severely mentally-impaired and would have to pay the Council Tax if this exemption did not exist.
To get the two exemptions above, all the residents must qualify for the corresponding Council Tax discount - see the relevant discount pages below for more details of those discounts.
- Property where all the residents are under 18 years old.
- Domestic property which is part of another domestic property, and the person living in it is a dependent relative of a person living in the main property (Exemption W).
- UK armed forces accommodation.
- Visiting forces accommodation.
- Property where all the residents are diplomats.
- Halls of residence for students
Claim forms are available below for some of these exemptions. Where no form is available, use the contact us form below to send us full details of the property and explain which exempt class you think it falls into.