Properties are exempt from Council Tax when :
- all the residents qualify as full-time students and/or student nurses in full-time education
- all the residents qualify as severely mentally-impaired and would be liable for Council Tax if this exemption did not exist
- all the residents are under 18 years old
- domestic property is part of another domestic property, and the person living in it is a dependent relative of a person living in the main property (Exemption W)
- UK armed forces accommodation.
- visiting forces accommodation.
- property where all the residents are diplomats.
- halls of residence for students
How to claim an exemption
Claim forms are available for some of these exemptions in the Documents section. Where no form is available, please contact us using the Contact Us section on this page.