We can supply you with equipment to aid you with day to day things like getting in and out of bed safely, using the bath, shower or toilet, managing the stairs or front steps and medical reminders.
Everyday equipment includes:
- Bigger control knobs for the cooker or gas fire
- Trolleys for carrying things between rooms
- Kettle ‘tippers’ – to help pour the kettle safely
- Specially adapted beds and chairs
- Mobile or ceiling-mounted hoists
- Raised toilet seats and commodes
- Shower stools and bath seats
- Bed sensors and falls sensors (Telecare)
- Personal/pendant alarms (Telecare)
- Medication reminders and pill dispensers (Telecare)
- Grab rails
- Wall to floor rails
- Alterations to taps
- Alterations to steps
For further information please call Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
If you are unable to speak to us using the telephone, please send a message using the email form which can be found in the Contact us section on this page.
Safety equipment and alarms
The Telecare service can monitor you, a family member or someone you care for 24 hours a day alerting a response centre if a sensor detects any problems. The service can be installed in sheltered or extra care housing. Sensors are placed around the home on ceilings, doors and walls or may be worn by the service user in the form of a pendant, watch or belt.
Telecare equipment includes:
- sensors which can detect falls, movement, and bed or chair occupancy
- epilepsy and enuresis sensors
- medication reminders and pill dispensers
- smoke, gas and flood detectors
- emergency pull cords
- bogus caller alert
Professionals can apply for the Telecare service on behalf of service users by completing the Tele Care service application for assessors form (PDF 311KB) available in the Documents section.
Individuals can apply for a Pendant Alarm using the Pendant Alarm self-referral application form (PDF 287KB) available from the Documents section. This form also contains information of recent changes to charges for the service.
Information on the range of available equipment can be found in the Equipment booklet (PDF 1.82MB) in the Documents section.
Adaptations to help you live at home
If you, a member of your family or someone you care for are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, we can help with physical changes to your home to make it more suitable for your needs and to help you live at home independently.
Adaptations to your home include:
- Wider doorways
- Wet floor/walk in showers
- Major alterations
If you would like to be assessed for adaptations to your home, please call Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401. If you are unable to use the telephone you can email us using the Contact us form on this page.