Education offer and SEN strategy
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Education offer and SEN strategy


Services in Leeds have worked with young people and families in Leeds to produce a new strategy about how we support children and young people who need extra help with their social, emotional and mental health (SEMH). You can find the strategy, called ‘Future in Mind Leeds’, in the ‘documents’ section below. A new website called MindMate has also been produced with young people to tell them and their families about mental health support and services in Leeds. Find it at Detailed guides to services have also been produced for people who want more detail about services. You can find them in the ‘documents’ section below.

SEND strategy for Leeds

There is a range of support available in Leeds to support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEN and disabilities) to enjoy and achieve in education, more information is available via the related pages section.

Partners in Leeds from a range of schools and settings work together to develop and improve education for children and young people with SEN and disabilities. They all sit on the SEN task group. The group has worked with partners, including parents and carers, to produce a strategy. The strategy looks at what we all want to achieve (an excellent education for all our children and young people in Leeds) and what we need to do to achieve it. This includes an action plan which we then put into practice. A draft of the action plan and a summary is available in the documents section.


If you would like to comment on the strategy, we would really like to hear from you. Use our feedback page to share your views (see related pages). If you would like to take part in developing the strategy in future, please get in touch using the contact us box.


If you need advice or support about any education issue related to SEN and disability, you can contact the Leeds SEND Information Advice and Support Service (formerly Parent Partnership Service) on 0113 378 5020 or email​​.

What to do if you're not happy with the support you're receiving

If you are unhappy there are a number of steps you can take:

  • Firstly speak to the school, specialist education, post-16, early education or childcare provider and give them a chance to resolve the issue.

  • If that doesn’t help then you can make a complaint to the council using the contact us box. The council doesn’t govern schools, colleges, private, independent or voluntary early years providers so can’t force them to take action but we can encourage and support them to be fully inclusive.

  • You can also make a complaint directly to Ofsted. Ofsted asks people to raise non-urgent issues directly with the provider before contacting them.

  • To make a complaint about an academy or free school contact the Department of Education.

  • To make a complaint about a further education college or apprenticeship provider, you will need to contact the Education Funding Agency (EFA). The EFA asks people to follow the college’s own complaints policy first.​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?