Manholes, drains and gullies
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Manholes, drains and gullies


Yorkshire Water has responsibility for shared sewers and the pipework outside a property boundary. You can contact them on 0345 1 24 24 24.

Home owners are responsible for the drains which serve their property within their property boundary.

Localised problems such as water in cellars, are usually a matter for the property owner to deal with directly. Private rented tenants should contact their landlord.

We will only get involved in cases where there is a risk to public health, eg sewage discharging onto the public footpath. If you need to report a problem that could affect public health, please use the Report a problem with a drain in a neighbouring property form.

Please read our drainage advice leaflet (PDF 44KB) for further information.


storm water drain at side of road, known as a gully

A highway gully is a drainage pit covered by an open metal grating located at the road edge. Its purpose is to drain rain water from the highway into the sewerage system. We aim to visit and, where necessary, clean each gully approximately every 18 months.

See the Advice section for further information​​​​​​​ or report a damaged or missing manhole and gully cover using the Report a damaged or missing manhole or gully cover form.​​​​​​


Click to expandBlocked gullies

One day each week the gully tankers will respond to referrals of blocked gullies. If the gully reported is not causing flooding or a potential public health issue and is due to be cleaned in the next 6 to 8 weeks it will be programmed in when the tanker is next in that area. Depending on the nature of the blockage, the length of time it takes to resolve the problem may vary.

You can report this now by completing the Report a blocked gully form.​​​​​​​​

Click to expandDamaged gullies

If a gully cover is loose or noisy, damaged, sunken or missing, please report it using the Report a damaged or missing manhole, drain or gully cover form.


Click to expandFlooding gullies

Some gullies cannot drain the water away fast enough and therefore will overflow or bubble up during periods of heavy rain fall. Once the rain stops, the gully will usually drain the water away without needing any attention. Please consider whether there has been recent heavy rain and wait a short time before reporting the flooding gully.

If the flooding is causing a potential hazard to a road or there is standing water present please report it using the Report a blocked gully form.​​​​​

Click to expandDropped keys / items in gully

Please note there is a charge to call out one of our teams to retrieve dropped keys or items, which can be in excess of £100. Please call us on 0113 222 4407 to arrange this service.

Click to expandManhole covers

To report a loose, noisy, damaged, sunken or missing manhole cover please use the report a Damaged or missing manhole or gully cover form.


To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?