Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Register a death

Booking an appointment

To register a death in Leeds please call 0113 2224408 to make an appointment.

A death should be registered within five days (unless a coroner is investigating the circumstances leading to a death).

Where can I register a death?

You can register a death at one of the following One Stop Centres: - 2 Great George Street, Armley, Chapeltown, Dewsbury Road, Garforth, Harehills, Middleton, Morley, Otley, Pudsey, Rawdon, Rothwell and Wetherby. Please see the documents section for addresses and opening times.

You can also register a death in any other Register Office in England and Wales. The Registrar will send the details on to us, although this may delay the funeral.

Who can register a death?

  • A relative of the deceased
  • A person present at the death
  • A person arranging the funeral (not the undertaker)

What do I need to bring?

You must bring the medical certificate issued by the doctor. Without this certificate the Registrar will not be able to register the death. If the death has been reported to the Coroner’s Office they will advise you what to do.

It is also helpful if you bring the deceased person’s birth certificate or passport to help check spellings, marriage certificate (if applicable) and medical card.

Tell Us Once

This is an optional service and is free of charge. You will need a unique reference which you can get from the registrars when you attend the appointment to register the death. Once you have this unique reference you can use the external link on this page or telephone the Tell Us Once service on  0800 085 7308​

What does the registrar need to know about the deceased?

The date and place of death.

The date and place of birth.

The full name and if the deceased was a married woman, the surname/family name used before marriage.

Their occupation.

Their usual address.

If the deceased was married or in a civil partnership the full name, date of birth and occupation of the spouse or civil partner.

Details of any public sector pension for example - teachers, civil service or armed forces.

What documents will I receive?

​A 'green form' to arrange the funeral. You need to give this to the funeral directors. If the death was referred to the coroner he may already have given this form to the funeral director.

A BD8 form to inform the department of works and pensions about any state pension and benifits relating to the deceased.

A Tell Us Once form - this can be used to inform a number of government departments about the death.

Death certificates at a cost of £4 each.

What do I have to pay?

​The Registrar will provide you with a copies of a full death certificate at a cost of £4 each.

Certificates may be needed for:

  • Probate or letters of administration
  • Bank and building society accounts
  • Private pensions
  • Insurance companies
  • Stocks and shares
  • Solicitors

What if someone dies abroad?

​If a friend or relative dies abroad this can be very distressing. The British consul can give you advice and help with practical details especially if you do not speak the language of that country.

You must register the death in the country where it happened.
You do not have to register a death at the British Consulate, but if you do you will get a consular death registration document and the death will be recorded at the General Register Office. The consular document is not a UK death certificate and should not be used as one. If the death occurred in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa or UK Overseas Territories you will be not be able to register the death with the British Consulate as these countries have close links with the UK and the local death certificate is in English.

The British Consulate can help you to:
- inform the next of kin.
- advise you on how much a local burial, local cremation and transport of the remains and personal property back to the UK will cost.
- give you a list of local funeral directors and help you if there is no English speaking firm.
- help you to arrange for money to be sent from the UK to pay for costs.
- if there is anything suspicious about the death they can advise you how to deal with this.

If the person who died had an infectious disease you must tell the authorities so they can any necessary precautions.
If you are living in the UK and a relative or friend dies when abroad, then you should contact:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office
King Charles Street
Tel: 020 7008 1500

and they can help you with
- informing the next of kin.
- they will try to make sure the next of kin do not hear of the death through the media.
- and they will let the overseas Consul know what the wishes are about disposal of the body are and try to make sure these wishes are carried out. This is not always possible, for example some countries do not have crematoriums so they cannot do cremations.
There are British Consulates in most capital cities and in other cities. You can find out more information on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website by using the link below.


What do I need to do to take a body out of England or Wales?

​If a relative or friend dies away from home, or away from the place where they want the funeral, burial or cremation to be held, you will need to make extra arrangements to move the body.

Only a coroner can give permission to move a body out of England and Wales. This permission has to be given for all deaths, not just deaths which are reported to the coroner. You will need to give the coroner four working days notice before the body is moved (it may be possible for you to get permission sooner). After this you will be given a removal notice (sometimes called 'form 104'). Part of this is sent to the Registrar of births, deaths and marriages for your area.

Free from infection certificate

You will also need a free from infection certificate. This certificate confirms that the area where the coffin of the deceased person was sealed is free from infection. You will need to contact the Leeds Health Protection Unit for this certificate.

Leeds Health Protection Unit
Leeds Health Protection Agency Laboratory
Bridle Path
York Road
Leeds LS15 7TR
Tel: 0113 284 0611

What if I need an interpreter?

We can provide an interpreter for you if English is not your first language. Or you may bring a friend or relative to help interpret.

Find my nearest Register Office

follow us:

  • twitter