Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Council Tax payments

This page explains the different ways to pay your Council Tax bill, what to do if you are struggling to pay and what will happen if you don't pay on time or don't pay at all.

Council Tax is usually due in monthly instalments. If your annual bill is sent in March, you will be given 10 instalments from April to January. However we can extend your instalments to March if you ask us in writing.

The easiest way to pay is to set up a Direct Debit online.You will need your Council Tax reference number and bank account details.

You can also set up a Direct Debit by:

  • Telephone - you can phone us using the telephone tab in Contact us  on this page with your bank account details and Council Tax reference number.
  • Post - go to Documents, print off and fill in a Direct Debit form, then post it to us.

Once you have set the Direct Debit up, you don’t need to ring us – we’ll send you a Direct Debit confirmation letter at least 10 days before your first payment is due. Each month on the due date we will ask your bank for payment direct from your bank account. 

Other ways to pay

Standing order, telephone banking or online banking
Make payments to:
NatWest, Head Office Collection Account No 00000000, sort code 57-12-72.
Please give your Council Tax account number (it is on your bill).

By debit card over the telephone - available every day, 24 hours a day
Phone (0113) 395 7100 and follow the easy, step-by-step instructions.

Over the internet - available every day, 24 hours a day
You can pay safely and securely online - go to 'Top tasks'.

Pay in person
You can pay at any Post Office, Paypoint or Payzone outlet for free - just take your Council Tax bill with you.  At the Post Office you can pay by cash or cheque (payable to Post Office Ltd), or debit card, but Paypoint outlets are cash-only and Payzone outlets accept only cash or debit card payments. 

If you are struggling to pay
Contact us using the form under 'Contact Us' - please include your account number and/or address on the form.  For those who have special communication needs, there is information on our Equal Access arrangements in the document 'Contacting the Council Tax office'.

If you don’t pay, or don’t pay on time
Council Tax regulations set out the actions we will take if you do not pay your Council Tax instalments on time. For more information see the related page 'What happens if you don't pay'.

How do I set up a Direct Debit to pay my Council Tax?

​You can set up a Direct Debit online - see Top Tasks. If you don't want to do it online, phone (0113) 222 4404 with your bank account details and we will set it up for you. Alternatively, you can download and print off a Direct Debit form.

I think I've overpaid my Council Tax. What should I do?

​If you think this is the case, please use the Contact us section on this page. Be sure to include your name, full previous/current address and council tax account number (if you have it). We will need to check whether or not you have actually overpaid and establish the best method of refund.

Please note that if you have already submitted a change of address form and provided a forwarding address outside of Leeds we will automatically grant a refund if there is a credit on your account. We will write to you to confirm this once it has been processed.

When do I have to pay my Council Tax?

​Your Council Tax is payable in monthly instalments (unless you have chosen to pay in a lump sum or half-yearly). Those instalments are due on the 10th of the month, so payments should reach your Council Tax account by that date.

However, if you choose to pay by Direct Debit you have a choice of three dates, either the 10th of the month, the 20th, or the last day of the month, and you can choose to pay your annual Council Tax over 12 months rather than 10. You can set up a Direct Debit online via Top Tasks, or you can ring 0113 222 4404 with your bank account details and we will set it up for you.

You can also choose to pay your annual Council Tax bill over 12 months from April to March but you need to request this in writing or via email through the Contact Us form.

Why do I pay more Council Tax than my neighbour/friend/relative?

​Because of the Data Protection Act, we cannot discuss someone else’s bill with you. However, there are a number of reasons why you may have different amounts to pay:

  • Your property’s band may be higher;
  • They may be receiving a discount or reduction for disabilities
  • They may have been granted Second Adult Rebate or Council Tax Support;
  • They may have moved in part way through the financial year so they are not paying for the full year.