Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Council Tax Support

This page tells you about Council tax Support, Second Adult Rebate, possible changes to the Council Tax Support scheme and how to apply. 

What is Council Tax Support?
Council Tax Support can reduce the amount of Council Tax you pay or mean that you have nothing to pay.

Who qualifies for Council Tax Support?
Anyone living in the UK who has a low income, and who pays Council Tax can claim Council Tax Support. You can’t claim Council Tax Support if you have capital over £16,000 unless you are over pension age and receive the guarantee element of Pension Credit. Special rules apply for full time students and people from abroad.

The amount of Council Tax Support you may get depends on:

  • you and your partner's income
  • you and your partner's savings
  • the number of children living with you
  • other people in your household
  • if you or your family have any special circumstances, because of illness or disability.

You can find out how much Council Tax Support you could get by using the 'Calculate your benefits entitlement' in the External links section on this page. You will need details of your income to fill this in.

Second Adult Rebate
If you are pension age and can't get Council Tax Support you may be able to get Second Adult Rebate instead. You might get Second Adult Rebate if you are a single person or a couple where one is disregarded from the Council Tax charge, but there are other adults in your home who have a low income. Second Adult Rebate is based on the income of the ‘second adult’ and not of the applicant.

Leeds Local Council Tax Support Scheme
Council Tax Support is a local scheme and is worked out differently in different areas. See the Council Tax Support Information leaflet in the Documents area of this page for more information about the current Leeds Scheme.

To claim Council Tax Support

You will need to download the benefits claim form from the Documents section. In the Documents section you will also find a new claim information booklet which tells you about the benefit claim process and the information we need from you.  You can also get these from a one stop centre. 

You can hand in your completed form at a one stop centre, or if you are a council tenant at your local housing office.

What happens next?

We will write to you to let you know if you have been awarded Council Tax Support. If you do not agree with the decision see the related page Disputes and appeals.​

How can I pay?

You will receive full details with your bill but Direct Debit is the easiest way to pay. When you get your bill call us on (0113) 222 4404 with your bank account details and we will do the rest. Alternatively you can download, print off and fill in a Direct Debit form, then post it to us. Once the Direct Debit is set up, each month on the due dates we will ask your bank for payment direct from your bank account. 

You can also pay by standing order, telephone banking or online banking. Make payments to: Nat West, Head Office Collection Account No 00000000,
Sort code 57-12-72. Please give your Council Tax account number (it is on your bill).

You can also pay by debit card over the telephone - available every day, 24 hours a day phone (0113) 395 7100 and follow the easy, step-by-step instructions.

You can pay over the internet - available every day, 24 hours a day. You can pay safely and securely online. See Top Tasks.

You can also pay at any Post Office or Paypoint outlet for free - just take your Council Tax bill with you. At the Post Office you can pay by cash or cheque but Paypoint outlets are cash-only.

I am worried about not being able to make the payments, what should I do?

If you find you cannot pay your bill when you get it please telephone us on 0113 222 4404, we may be able to make an arrangement to pay in small instalments, for example if it is easier for you to pay weekly or fortnightly we could help.