• A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Children's Social Work Services

Children’s Social Work Services (CSWS) assess and support children, young people and their families who are: 
  • Children in need
  • Children subject to child protection plans
  • Children subject to care proceedings
  • Children looked after by Leeds City Council
The social work teams are located across the city and work closely with other community based professionals to enable children and young people to remain in the care of their families at home. Restorative services such as Family Group Conferencing (FGC) and Multi-Systemic Therapy (MST) are some of the resources that are used to help families find their own solutions and develop coping methods.

Where a child or young person is looked after (in the care of the local authority either with a foster carer or in a children’s home) the social work team will focus on helping the child or young person experience stability and permanence through:
  • a return to their family 
  • adoption
  • special guardianship
  • or independence
Child health and disability (CHAD) work within localities and offer services as detailed above to those children and young people who have additional needs and disabilities. 

The regional specialist pediatric social work team is based at Leeds General Infirmary. They work with children and young people with a range of specified health conditions and their families.

How to contact us:
If you are a member of the public you can phone Children’s Social Work Services on 0113 222 4403 between 9am and 5pm.  
If you are involved with a child or family in a professional capacity phone the Duty & Advice team on 0113 3760336 between 9am and 5pm. 

If your enquiry needs a response from children’s social work services outside normal office hours, please phone the Social Care Emergency Duty team on 0113 240 9536.  

If you feel that a child is immediately at risk of harm please contact the emergency services on 999. 


Click to expandWho can use the Children’s Rights Service?

Any child or young person who has involvement with Leeds Children's Social Work Services and needs advice or support - for example, if you live in a children's home, foster home, receive after care support or live at home under the supervision of social care. Other people may want to contact the service on your behalf, such as: parents, teachers, youth workers or friends. You can contact the Children’s Rights Service for free on 0800 6527212. They will listen to what you say and help you to make a complaint if you want to, or help you find an advocate.

Click to expandHave you left care or are you about to?

The Youth Information Hub has important information to support you on your journey out of care including:

-Independent Living Skills (Passport for Living)
-Information about the money support you can get, including for University
-Ways to get in touch – Contact details for Social Care and ‘Ask a Question’ email
-Current events and jobs open to you
-Other important numbers – Job Centre, Child Benefit information, and more. ​

Youth Information Hub website

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?