Childcare out of school and holiday playschemes
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Childcare out of school and holiday playschemes

Parents in employment, training or education may need help with childcare before and after school and during the school holidays.

Before and after school

There are two main types of registered childcare that can provide this.

  • Out of school clubs are registered childcare provision which provide play opportunities for children before or after school. These can sometimes be located on school premises and can run from 8am – 9am and 3pm to 6pm (or school finishing times).
  • A childminder is a person, registered and inspected by Ofsted who looks after children from birth to eight years in their own home for more than two hours a day and receives payment for this service. Many childminders do operate a school pick up/drop off service.  They also can accommodate parents who are looking for care later than 6pm or earlier than 8am.

You can also use a childminder during the school holidays as well.

Holiday playschemes

Holiday playschemes are divided into two types:-  full day care and sessional care, not all playschemes are registered with Ofsted

  • Full day care playschemes do exactly what they are called which is to care for your child during the school holidays for the full day. This can be from 8am right through to 6pm.
  • Sessional care playschemes operate mornings and /or afternoons but do not operate during lunchtimes.

Not all playschemes run every school holiday.

To find information on childcare, you can call us on free phone 0800 731 0640 or 0113 247 4386, email us using the contact us form or visit the Family Hub website via the external link.  

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?