Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Changes in Circumstances

Changes in your circumstances can mean a change to your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.
If you receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, the law states that you must tell us about any changes in your or your family's circumstances. This is because it may affect the amount of benefit / council tax support you are entitled to.
Telling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC) about a change does not mean that they will pass the information on to us. You must tell us yourself.

Changes you have to tell us about
Some of the changes in circumstances that you must tell us about:

  • You or your partner's wages go up or down
  • You or your partner start working or change jobs
  • Any state benefits that you or your partner receive change or stop
  • You or your partner start to receive a state benefit
  • Anyone moves into or out of your home
  • The circumstances of anyone living with you changes
  • You or your partner's private pension goes up or down
  • You or your partner's savings go up or down
  • You or your partner have any other change which may affect your benefit

How do I tell you about a change of circumstances?
Please download the 'Change of Circumstances' form in the documents section.

How do I tell you about a change of address?
You must tell us if you move address while you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support. You can do this online or by downloading a form:

  • Online - go to 'report a change of address' in 'top tasks' 
  • COA (Change of Address) form - for Council Tenants and Homeowners - you can download this from the documents section
  • COA (Change of Address) form - for Private Tenants - you can download this from the documents section
When do I have to let you know?
You must tell us about a change within one month of it happening, if you do not tell us you may lose out on Housing Benefit, or we may pay you too much benefit that you will have to pay back to us. 
The law says that you must report any changes that may affect your Council Tax Support within 21 days.
What information do I have to tell you?
You must send us written confirmation to tell us about the change and the date it happened. You can download a change in circumstances form from the documents area on this page. Or you can also write to us at Welfare and Benefits, Citizens and Communities, Selectapost 15, Leeds, LS2 8BA.
You must also provide supporting evidence of the change in circumstances. We can only accept original documents, photocopies are not suitable.
What happens if I receive an overpayment?
If you are paid too much Housing Benefit (this is called an overpayment) and/or Council Tax Support you will have to pay it back.
What if I don’t agree with the overpayment decision ?
If you disagree with a Housing Benefit overpayment decision you have the right to appeal – See the related page for more information about disputes and appeals.