Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

There are no related pages available for the current page. If you are looking for specific page, please try the AtoZ council services.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Building Materials on the Highway

​Where possible you should place all building materials on private land. Where it is not possible to do so, you can place building materials temporarily on the public footway, verge or carriageway. But you need to apply for a license to do so.

We need three working days notice for a licence, which will be valid for a month. If you have a licence and you want to extend it you must apply for this before it expires.

To apply for a licence, download the building materials licence application form (from this page), complete it and return it to us with your payment. Contact details of where to return the application are on the form. Please make sure that your application form has been fully completed otherwise your licence may be delayed.

Once your application form has been received and processed, we can issue a licence and you can place your building materials on the highway.

It is an offence under Section 171 of the Highways Act 1980 to place building materials on the public highway without a licence. If you do not get a licence or follow the licence rules you will be prosecuted.