Breaks provided in the carer or cared for person's own home (Community based Respite Service)
Short breaks from caring, also called respite, is something that many family carers value. Without it many feel that they could not carry on providing care for their relative or friend. A trained care worker could visit for a few hours or go out with the cared-for person, to give you some time to yourself. The services are very flexible, offering from two to eight hours of care per week, which could be for:
- part of the day
- an occasional whole day
- a one-off
- for a whole night in more demanding care situations.
Listed below are the services in Leeds who can offer respite support for up to eight hours per week for family carers who are providing substantial and regular care to someone :
- For East Leeds - Allied Healthcare Services, call 0113 223 7321 or 01707 254 576
- West and North West Leeds - CareUK, call 0113 240 4164
- South Leeds - Czajka Care, call 0113 274 1900
- North East Leeds - Moorcare, call 0113 203 4914
- Leeds shared lives (city wide) call 0113 247 8658
Leeds Shared Lives / Family Placement - short breaks
This scheme offers a range of short break services. A social care assessment referral is needed to access these services. Further information is available on the Leeds Shared Lives page (see Related pages) or by calling the following numbers:
- Breaks for carers looking after adults, call 0113 247 8659
- Breaks for carers looking after children (Family Placement) call 0113 222 4403
As part of a carer's assessment we can discuss planned respite in a residential place for a few weeks in the year. There would also need to be an assessment of the care needs of the person being cared for.
One-off breaks, holidays, alternatives to respite care services
Some carers may not need someone to look after their family member while they have some time to themselves but may some other kind of help to look after their own health and well-being and enable them to continue to care. This may be a holiday with or without the person they look after, or help with some costs related to exercise sport or leisure. Further information is available in the Getting a Break leaflet in the Documents section on this page.
There are several ways to access help :
- Leeds City Council Leedscardextra - this scheme gives carers discounted entry to the Council's leisure facilities, Pools and Gyms. In addition there are a number of shops, entertainments and events who offer discounted entry to Leedscardextra holders. Application forms may be obtained from: 0113 224 3636
- Following a carers assessment by Adult Social Care a one off personal budget can be given to substantial and regular carers who are not using any other respite breaks services, and who need some other kind of help to sustain them in their caring role.
- Time for Carers is a scheme whereby carers who are providing at least 35 hours of care per week, can have a one-off payment for a holiday or other type of one-off break. This is only available once in three years. The scheme uses Leeds City Council funding and is administered by Carers Leeds. Contact Carers Leeds to find out more call: 0113 246 8338
- For carers of people with dementia, there is a special holiday grant scheme funded by Leeds City Council and administered by the Alzheimer's Society. To find out more call them at 0113 231 1727