The blue badge scheme allows people with severe mobility problems to park close to their destination for free. Badges last up to three years. The scheme is recognised throughout the UK and the European Union.
Who can apply for a blue badge?
You don’t have to own a vehicle or be able to drive to have a blue badge. It can be used in any vehicle in which you travel as a passenger.
Find out who can apply and what proof you need in the frequently asked questions on this page.
How do I apply for a blue badge?
The quickest and easiest way to apply for a blue badge is to complete the online form
You can also apply by:
- Downloading the relevant application form from the Documents section; or
- Visiting one of our One Stop Centres; or
- Requesting an application pack by using the Contact us form on this page.
How much does a blue badge cost and how do I pay?
A blue badge costs £10. Your badge cannot be ordered until cleared payment has been received. Please pay by debit or credit card by calling 0113 222 44 44 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). You can make your payment at any time during the application process. If your application is unsuccessful your payment will be refunded.
Customers who meet one of the following categories don't need to pay for their blue badge:
- Children under 16
- People who are terminally ill (someone who is not expected to live beyond 12 months)
- People in receipt of a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- Armed service personnel in receipt of a tariff 1 to 8 from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme having been assessed as having a permanent and substantial disability
Children under 3 years of age
There are special rules if you have a child under the age of 3. You can get a blue badge if your child has a specific medical condition which means they:
- Must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty;
- Need to be kept near a motor vehicle at all times so that they can, if necessary, be treated for their condition in the vehicle or taken quickly to a place where they can be treated
Please complete the Application form for children under 3 years of age (PDF 47KB)
What will happen next?
If you are eligible without any further assessment and have provided all your documentation and payment, you will receive your blue badge within 10 working days.
If you are eligible subject to further assessment, all applicants will be contacted by the Independent Mobility Assessment (IMA) team to make an appointment for an assessment.