A blue badge will help you to park close to your destination, either as a passenger or a driver. The badge is intended for on-street parking only. Off-street car parks are goverened by separate rules. It is up to the car park owner to decide whether badge holders can park free of charge. A blue badge is awarded for up to three years. The scheme is recognised throughout the UK and the European Union.
Who can apply for a blue badge?
You don’t have to own a vehicle or be able to drive to have a blue badge. It can be used in any vehicle in which you travel as a passenger. Find out how to apply for a blue badge.
How do I renew my blue badge?
There is no facility to "renew" a blue badge. You will need to apply for a new one using the guidance on our blue badge application page. Please note that you will need to supply proof of eligibility again when reapplying. More information can be found under the frequently asked question "My blue badge is due to expire, how do I re-apply?" at the bottom of this page.
How much does a blue badge cost and how do I pay?
A blue badge costs £10. Your badge cannot be ordered until cleared payment has been received. Please pay by debit or credit card by calling 0113 222 44 44 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
Please note: If you are required to attend an Independent Mobility Assessment, you will receive a letter advising of this and how to contact the assessment team. In these cases, you should not make payment for a blue badge until you have been advised your application has been successful.
Customers who meet one of the following categories don't need to pay for their blue badge:
- Children under 16
- People who are terminally ill (someone who is not expected to live beyond 12 months)
- People in receipt of a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- Armed service personnel in receipt of a tariff 1 to 8 from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme having been assessed as having a permanent and substantial disability
Children under 3 years of age
There are special rules if you have a child under the age of 3. You can get a blue badge if your child has a specific medical condition which means they:
- Must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty;
- Need to be kept near a motor vehicle at all times so that they can, if necessary, be treated for their condition in the vehicle or taken quickly to a place where they can be treated
Please complete the Application form for children under 3 years of age (PDF 47KB)
Frequently asked questions