Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Assessing your care needs

The first step to getting Adult Social Care services is to call 0113 222 4401 (or textphone 0113 222 4410). 

You direct this process and speak to a care manager talk about your needs, anything you might be struggling with and how you want your life to be. There is a copy of the single assessment process in the Documents section on this page.

During the assessment we will talk about:

  • your needs
  • what changes you would like to make to your life, to live as independently as possible
  • your carer's needs, if any
  • whether you are eligible for support from Adult Social Care
  • the services which may be available and how much they cost
  • what happens next

The information you give is confidential and we will ask your permission before we share it with anyone we may need to work with, for example, doctors or occupational therapists.

We will arrange for an interpreter if you do not speak English or if you use sign language.

We will give you a copy of the record of the assessment of your care needs. We can also give a copy to your carer, with permission.

If you are not happy with your assessment

Your assessment will be reviewed at regular intervals. If you are not happy with the result of your assessment, or a review, you are welcome to discuss your concerns with the care manager in your local office who will see what they can do to help.

If are still not happy then you can ask the Review panel to consider your case. They can look at doing either a review or a new assessment. Finally, one further option is to make a complaint. See the page called Your rights in the Related Pages section.

You can get more information about assessments, putting together a support plan, and personal budgets from the self directed support pages. ​​