Applying for council housing
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Applying for council housing

You need to be a member of the Leeds Homes Register to apply for council housing. Once you are on the Leeds Homes register you can bid for available properties. We advertise properties through our choice based lettings scheme. You can find out more on the Leeds Homes website.

We also advertise through our weekly Leeds Homes flyer which is published every Wednesday and available in our housing offices and one stop centres.

The bidding cycle runs from Wednesday 8am to Monday 5pm. You can bid any day you like and can place up to 3 bids per week.

How to get a membership application form

You can apply for a Leeds Homes membership by:

Returning your completed membership application form

Applicants living in Leeds

You must take your completed application form and original copies of your identity proofs to a housing office or one stop centre. Your original identity proofs will be verified, copied and returned to you. Leeds Homes cannot accept identity proofs if they are not verified.

Applicants living outside Leeds

If you currently live outside Leeds and cannot go in person to a housing office or one stop centre, please send your completed application form and photocopies of your identity proofs to the address below. You must not send original copies of identity proofs through the post to us.

Housing Registrations Team
1st Floor
2 Great George Street

What happens next?

After your application has been approved you wil be added to the Leeds Homes Register and issued with a membership number. You can then bid on properties.

Swapping your home (Mutual Exchange)

A mutual exchange is when two or more tenants decide to swap homes. You can find out more on the Mutual Exchange page.​​​​​​​​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?

Find my nearest one stop centre