Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Report anti social behaviour and noise nuisance

The Out of Hours Noise Nuisance Service is now part of Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team. The new 'ASB Response Team' partners with West Yorkshire Police to enhance delivery of service on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. From 2 May 2014, the Out of Hours response team is joined by Police Community Support Officers to respond to noise nuisance calls across the city between 6pm and 4am.  This partnership allows the council to deploy two vans to maximise calls attended, and in a short space of time has raised our customer satisfaction rates to 87.5%  New processes and evidence gathering has already led to court proceedings against persistent noise offenders. Noise is a normal part of our daily lives, but noise that is unreasonable or excessive will be challenged.

Who is the Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team?

Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team (LASBT) is a partnership team formed in 2012 after a comprehensive review of anti-social behaviour services. Our 90 members of staff come from Leeds City Council, West Yorkshire Police, Housing Leeds, Belle Isle Tenant Management Organisation, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Services and Victim Support, and are split into 4 teams covering the City Centre, East North East, West North West & South areas of Leeds. LASBT work together to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB) in your area. We want to tackle anti-social behaviour at the earliest opportunity to prevent problems from escalating and will utilise a range of tools from mediation through to civil and criminal prosecutions. 

When you contact us, your details remain confidential. Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team will not take action without your consent. We are not able to respond to anonymous complaints, although this information will be recorded in case of future complaints.

Ways you can help our investigation:

Keep a diary of the nuisance. Download a Nuisance Diary in the Documents section on this page.

There are five basic questions we need you to answer when you report anti-social behaviour or noise nuisance:

1. Where?
Is the problem in your home, outside your home, or somewhere else? Be as specific about the location as you can.

2. When?
When does the nuisance occur? Is it at night or early hours of the morning? Provide dates and times for each incident.

3. Who? 
Is the person or are the people involved known to you? Can you describe them?

4. Why?
Is there a reason you are being targeted, or is it an issue that is affecting the whole community? 

5. What?
What is the nuisance behaviour?

To make a report, please use the Contact Us section on this page. Alternatively, you can make a report in person at any housing office or One Stop Centre.

To report a hate incident, please go to Report a Hate Incident in the Related Pages section on this page.​

What is anti-social behaviour?

Any behaviour that causes harm to individuals and communities can be considered anti-social.  Anti-social behaviour is any behaviour that is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Does the behaviour affect your quality of life? Is it persistent? Do you feel fearful?

Anti-social behaviour can include:

Aggressive Begging
Hoax or Obscene Nuisance Calls
Noise Nuisance
Property Nuisance
Rowdy Behaviour
Street Drinking
Intimidation or Aggressive Behaviour

(This list is not exhausitve.)

An example of Nuisance & Rowdy Behaviour is when a group of people gather in a garden or communal area to drink and engage in rowdy behaviour and this happening most weekends.

What is Noise Nuisance?

​Noise that is unreasonable or excessive is considered a noise nuisance. Noise is part of our daily lives and a degree of tolerance is expected.

The following factors are considered to determine if noise is unreasonable or excessive:

Time of day
Volume of the noise
Persistence of the noise
Source/cause of the noise
Ability for the sound to be controlled

Noise as a result of day to day activity such as flushing toilets, children playing, washing machines, vacuums, lawnmowers, doors and cupboards closing, cannot generally be considered a noise nuisance, unless they are happening at unreasonable times, for example in the middle of the night so as to disturb sleep.

To be a nuisance, noise must be causing substantial and unreasonable interference in your home on a regular basis. Faulty burglar alarms or excessively loud music/television are examples of noise nuisance.

How do I report noise nuisance?

Noise that happens during the day:

Contact Leeds anti-social behaviour team to report noise nuisance from domestic & residential properties.  ​Use the form under Top Tasks - Report Noise Nuisance, or call us on 0113 222 4402, 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. 

If you rent your home, you need to report the problems to your landlord. If you rent from Housing Leeds you can report this on 0800 188 4000 or 0113 376 0410.

If the problems continue, you can refer your case to Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team using the Top Task - Report Noise Nuisance.

Noise that happens at night:

The council operate a night-time response service in partnership with West Yorkshire Police between 6pm and 4am every night and the number to call during this time is 0113 395 0143. 

Noise at night-time should only be reported when the noise is occurring. If the noise stops before the team attend, please ring back to cancel the request. The team aim to call customers back to check the noise is still ongoing before attending, especially during peak times on weekends and bank holidays.

How do I report anti-social behaviour?

It is important that nuisance is dealt with by the appropriate agency and not allowed to escalate.

If you are a council tenant, please report neighbour disputes, untidy gardens, boundary disputes, noise nuisance or breaches of tenancy agreement to your local housing office in the first instance.

If you rent your home from a housing association, private landlord or letting agency, please report the problem to them in the first instance.

If you own your home, or if you have reported problems to your landlord and they have not been resolved, contact LASBT using the details in the Contact Us section. 

You can also report anti-social behaviour at One Stop Centres located across the city.

What should I expect from you?

We will aim to respond to your complaint within 2 working days. If your complaint qualifies for further investigation, your case will be allocated to a LASBT case officer who will arrange to meet you, offer you access to support, and work with you to resolve the problems. We will keep you updated with progress of the case and aim to resolve the problems at the earliest opportunity using non-legal remedies like mediation.

Where problems are persistent or there is risk of harm, we can use legal powers including injunctions and tenancy action.

Our Policy and Procedures which includes our service standards is available to download from this website in the Documents section.

What is a Community Trigger?

If you have reported 3 separate incidents in the past 6 months to the council, police or social landlord and would like for an impartial review of your case, you can request a community trigger.

Please see the related page Community trigger for further information and more details on how you can report this.