Admissions, Transferring between schools
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Admissions, Transferring between schools

If you want to transfer school or are applying other than starting primary or secondary school for the first time you need to apply directly with the school. Please see the related pages section for information on individual schools.
The process is:
  • Before you request to transfer schools, you must talk through any problems with the current school. Transferring schools can be very disruptive to a pupil.​ If you are not happy with the way the school is dealing with the problem you should speak to the Headteacher or the Chair of Governors at the school.
  • The school you want to transfer to will give you a form to complete or you can download it from the documents section on this page. You need to return the completed form to the school either in person or by post.  
  • If the school is able to offer you a place, you will receive a letter confirming this from them.
  • If the school is unable to offer you a place the Admissions Team will contact you in writing to let you know about the other schools in your area and any vacancies at these schools.
  • You will have the right of appeal to an independent panel for the school you have been refused. If you want more information about the appeals process please go the related page Admissions Appeals.
  • If you are moving out of Leeds please contact the authorities admissions team for the place you are moving to for advice on transferring schools.  ​
You must apply for a school place using the address where your child lives for the majority of the time. 

Some schools including voluntary aided, free schools, academies and trusts are their own admissions authorities and have their own individual admissions policies. You can find these on the individual schools websites or by searching for the relevant school on the schools search page under the related pages section.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?