Applications to start secondary school in September 2016 have now closed. If you have missed the deadline please contact the Admissions Team on 0113 222 4414, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Alternatively you can email email@example.com.
The table shows you a timetable of important dates in the school year. Please use it as a guide.
If your child is in their last year of primary school and is due to start secondary school in September 2017 you must apply for a school place between 1 August 2016 and 31 October 2016.
Invitation to apply letters
Letters telling you which is your priority school are sent out at the end of July. If you have not received your letter by mid-August please contact us. This is the school where your child has a higher priority under the Leeds Admission Policy 2017/18 (PDF 61KB).
The admission policy describes how priority is determined and, in turn, how places are offered. It also provides information about what constitutes a home address, how late applications are dealt with and how offers should be accepted. It provides an overview of how the waiting list works, how temporary school sites are taken into account, how applications outside the normal admission round should be made and the policy on sixth form applications.
How to apply for a school place
Your application needs to be made using the online application form. Our 'how to' video will help you complete the application form.
You can include up to five schools on your application form. You should put these in order of your preference (i.e. your preferred school at number one, and your least preferred school at number five).
Some schools require the completion of a supplementary information form (SIF) which should be completed separately and sent directly to the school. You can find out if a SIF is required by reading the school's admissions policy. Each school page has a link to its admissions policy. If supplementary information is required a link to this will also be provided. SIFs will also be available on the relevant school's website.
Before you apply have you?
- Visited the schools you are interested in applying to before making your application to ensure that you are making an informed choice.
- Read the information in the Leeds City Council composite prospectus (PDF 3MB) including school information and individual school oversubscription criteria to ensure you include school(s) where your child has a realistic chance of being offered a place.
- Pages 9 and 10 include information about the kinds of schools there are in Leeds and how that will affect your application. Pages 12 to 16 includes answers to frequently asked questions and other information including provision for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN).
- Watched our 'how to' video to help you use the online application form.
- Used Find a school in Leeds to gain detailed information about each school, including their oversubscription criteria which can be found within the admissions policy attached to each school page. This will help ensure you include schools where your child has a realistic chance of being offered a place.
- Spoken to staff in school or the admissions team to clarify any issues you are not sure about. The admissions team are only able to discuss the child’s application with the named contact on the application form. To become a named contact, the current named contact needs to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the person they wish to add. Please also include the child’s details.
- Considered how your child will get to school and the potential transport costs.
Before the closing date (31 October 2016) have you?
- Completed your online application and received email confirmation that this has been submitted.
- Told us of up to 5 schools you would prefer and read the admissions policies for each of these schools.
- Completed and returned any supplementary information forms to schools who require them.
- Checked that your preferred school considers exceptional circumstances as part of their admissions criteria if you are claiming exceptional medical or mobility needs priority 1b (PDF 222KB).
- Attached any relevant supporting evidence to your application.