By law children must start school from the beginning of the school term after their fifth birthday. In Leeds children normally start school at the beginning of the academic year in which they have their fifth birthday.
If a child was born between 1 September 2010 and 31 August 2011, he or she will start primary school in September 2015. If your child was born between 1 September 2010 and 31 August 2011 you must apply for a school place between the 1 November 2014 and 15 January 2015.
Your child must be in full time education the term following their fifth birthday.
It is important that you submit your application within these dates.
If you live in Leeds and have an email address, you can apply online by going to the top tasks on the right hand side of this page. The benefits of applying online are:
- it is quick, easy and safe
- you will receive a confirmation email that your preferences have been received (which you should keep). Please note it can take up to 24 hours to receive your confirmation e-mail
- applications that are sent through the post can be lost, by applying online you are automatically provided with proof that we have received your application
- you will be able to log back in and check or change your details up until the closing date of 15 January
- on 16 April you will be emailed with an offer of a school place, and will not have to wait for the post
If you apply online keep your acknowledgement email as proof. If you do not receive an acknowledgement email within 24 hours your application has not been completed successfully.
You should go back and make sure it is completed properly. Make sure you click the ‘submit’ button at the end of the form.
For assistance with the online application process please see the ‘online application guide’ in the Documents section on this page.
You can also apply by completing a common preference form available in the documents section on this website.
You can return the paper form directly to Leeds City Council, PO Box 837, School Admissions, Leeds, LS1 9PZ or hand it in at any school office.
We recommend that you keep a copy of your form and if you hand it in to a school, that you get a receipt. If you post your form to us we recommend that you use ‘registered post’ so that you have proof of delivery.