The table shows you a timetable of important dates in the school year. Please use it as a guide.
If your child is due to start primary school in September 2017 you must apply for a school place between 1 November 2016 and 15 January 2017.
Invitation to apply letters
Letters telling you which is your priority school are sent out at the end of October. If you have not received your letter by mid-November please contact us. This is the school where you child has a higher priority under the admissions policy.
How to apply for a school place
Applications open on 1 November. You need to make your application using the online application form. This will become available on this page when the application window opens.
Watch our 'how to' video to help you use the online application form. This will be available from 1 November 2016.
On your application, you can include up to five schools as your preferences. You should put these in order of your preference (i.e. your preferred school at number one, and your least preferred school at number five). We recommend you use all five preferences and include your child's priority school. This will ensure you have the best chance of being offered a local school place. Remember, this may not physically be your nearest school as different types of schools follow different types of admissions policies. Select a school using Find a school in Leeds to view its admissions policy.
Some schools require the completion of a supplementary information form (SIF) which should be completed separately and sent directly to the school. You can find out if a SIF is required by reading the school's admissions policy. Each school page has a link to its admissions policy. If supplementary information is required a link to this will also be provided.
The address you provide on the application must be where your child lives for the majority of the time.
There are a number of things you should consider before submitting your application
- Have you completed your online application and received an email confirming we have received it?
- Have you completed and returned any supplementary information forms to schools that require them?
- Have you attached any relevant supporting evidence to your application?
- Have you visited the schools you are interested in before applying? Most of them have open days where you can find out more information.
- If you are claiming exceptional medical/social circumstances (priority 1b) have you checked that your preferred school considers exceptional circumstances as part of their admissions criteria?
- Have you read the Starting primary school in Leeds 2017 composite prospectus? This is available in the Documents section on this page.
- Watch our 'how to' video to help you use the online application form. This will be available from 1 August 2016.
- Remember to choose up to five schools you would prefer and include your 'priority school' (as outlined in your invitation to apply letter).This will ensure you have the best chance of being offered a local school place.
- Have you considered how your child will get to school and the potential transport costs? Please visit our Children's transport page for further information.
- Use Find a school in Leeds to gain detailed information about each school, including their oversubscription criteria which can be found within the admissions policy attached to each school page. This will help ensure you include schools where your child has a realistic chance of being offered a place.
- Have you spoken to staff in the Admissions Team to clarify any issue you are not sure about, especially about the admissions policy? If not, please call 0113 222 4414, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Alternatively you can email email@example.com
- Please note that the admissions team are only able to discuss the child’s application with the named contact on the form. To add a named contact to the form, the current named contact needs to email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the person they wish to add and the child’s details.