The primary online admissions system is now closed. If you would like your child to start primary school in September 2017 and have not yet applied for a place please read the How to apply for a school place section of this page.
Invitation to apply letters
Letters advising you of your priority school were sent out at the end of October 2016. This is the school where your child has a higher priority under the Leeds admissions policy reception 2017/18 (PDF 64KB). You do not need this letter in order to apply. If you are unsure which your priority school is, please contact us.
The admission policy describes how priority is determined and, in turn, how places are offered. It also provides information about what constitutes a home address, how late applications are dealt with and how offers should be accepted. It provides an overview of how the waiting list works, how temporary school sites are taken into account and how applications outside the normal admission round should be made.
How to apply for a school place
The primary online admissions system is now closed.
If you have not yet applied and would like your child to start primary school in September 2017 you can fill out a Primary CPF paper form (Word document 402KB). Please send your completed paper form to: The Admissions Team, PO Box 837, Leeds, LS1 9PZ or contact us for further assistance on 0113 222 4414.
On your application, you can include up to five schools as your preferences. You should put these in order of your preference (i.e. your preferred school at number one, and your least preferred school at number five). We recommend you use all five preferences and include your child's priority school. This will ensure you have the best chance of being offered a local school place. Remember, this may not physically be your nearest school as different types of schools follow different types of admissions policies.
The address you provide on the application must be where your child lives for the majority of the time.
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Your child’s date of birth, full name and address
- Your name and your contact details
- Up to five schools in order of preference, i.e. your preferred school at number one and your least preferred school at number five
- Let us know If your child meets any of the priorities as described in the Leeds admissions policy reception 2017/18 (PDF 64KB), along with full details.
Some schools require the completion of a supplementary information form (SIF) which should be completed separately and sent directly to the school. You can find out if a SIF is required by reading the school's admissions policy. Each school page has a link to its admissions policy. If supplementary information is required a link to this will also be provided. SIFs will also be available on the relevant school's own website.
If your child already has a place at primary school and you would like to apply for a place at a different school, please follow the advice given on our Transferring between schools page.
Before you apply have you:
- Visited the schools you are interested in before applying? Most of them have open days where you can find out more information.
- Read the Starting primary school in Leeds 2017 composite prospectus (PDF 3.2MB)
- Pages 9 and 10 include information about the kinds of schools there are in Leeds and how that will affect your application. Pages 12 to 16 includes answers to frequently asked questions and other information including provision for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN).
- Watched our 'how to' video to help you use the online application form (when it is live).
- Used Find a school in Leeds to gain detailed information about each school, including their oversubscription criteria which can be found within the admissions policy attached to each school page. This will help ensure you include schools where your child has a realistic chance of being offered a place.
- Spoken to staff in the Admissions Team to clarify any issue you are not sure about, especially about the admissions policy? If not, please call 0113 222 4414, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Alternatively you can email email@example.com. Please note that the admissions team are only able to discuss the child’s application with the named contact on the form. To add a named contact, the current named contact needs to email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the person they wish to add, along with the child's details.
- Considered how your child will get to school and the potential transport costs? Please visit our Home to school transport pages and Metro's Generation M website for further information.