Temple Newsam House is a magnificent Tudor-Jacobean house and was the birthplace of Lord Darnley, infamous husband of Mary Queen of Scots. For 300 years it was also the home of the Ingram family until it was bought by Leeds City Council from Lord Halifax in 1922. Inside, thirty interior rooms display great paintings, renowned furniture including masterpieces by Chippendale, sumptuous textiles, silver, porcelain, and Leeds pottery.
Temple Newsam is celebrated for its wonderful collections of fine and decorative arts, especially paintings, furniture, silver, ceramics, textiles and wallpapers. The collection has been built up since 1923 when the estate was bought from the Hon. Edward Wood (later the Earl of Halifax) by the city of Leeds and developed as a country house museum, to restore the house and its fine collections to its earlier glory. Despite the sale of many of the furnishings in 1922, the basis of the contents of Temple Newsam today is still the family collection. This has been added to over the years and now makes up one of the finest publicly owned collections of English decorative art outside London.
In 1997 the collections were designated by the Museums and Galleries Commission as being of pre-eminent national importance.