The Parks and Countryside service is very grateful for the support of the hundreds of volunteers who work with us every year. With their help we can achieve so much more in our mission to protect, promote and enhance the green spaces of Leeds.
We always welcome new volunteers so if you are interested in working with us, read on.
There are three main types of volunteer opportunities in parks and countryside:
- Longer term volunteer roles for individuals, including work placements for over 18s
- Volunteer groups that are affiliated to particular sites or service areas, such as ‘Friends of’ Roundhay Park or Leeds Wildlife Volunteers.
- Outside organisations that want to volunteer on a one off or infrequent basis. This can include corporate groups on team building days.
The kinds of work that volunteers do for the parks and countryside service varies greatly. Some examples include:
- Practical work to improve green spaces for people and wildlife including gardening, nature conservation and maintaining site infrastructure such as paths and fences
- Fundraising for site improvements
- Organising community events
- Being the ‘eyes and ears’ of a site
- Surveying wildlife
- Running community cafes in parks
How to get involved
For more information, read some of the leaflets in the Documents section of this page.
You can also contact the ranger service by