Bookstart is a national scheme offering free books to every child, supporting families to share the fun of sharing books together.
Bookstart works with Leeds Library and Information Service, health visitors and early years settings to introduce books to babies and pre-school children.
There are 2 free Bookstart packs:
- Bookstart Baby pack for babies aged 7 – 12 months, available from your health visitor.
- Bookstart Treasure pack for children aged 36 – 48 months, available from early years settings, such as children’s centres and early years centres.
Libraries and mobile libraries are secondary access points for these two packs.
Each free pack contains two free books and materials for families to share and enjoy.
Additional needs packs
Bookstart provides additional needs packs, these have been developed for children to encourage a love of reading and for accessibility, regardless of their needs : -
- Bookstart Star - If your child has a condition or disability that impacts on, or delays their fine motor skills
- Bookshine - If your child is deaf they are eligible to receive a FREE Bookshine pack, specially created for deaf babies and children.
- Booktouch - If your child is blind or partially sighted, they are eligible to receive a FREE Booktouch pack, specially created for visually impaired babies and children.
Bookstart Bear Club
Pre-school children can join the Bookstart Bear Club, each member receives a special folder, passport and certificates.
There’s even a prize draw to win £20 of free books.
Its free to join and great fun!
For a list of all our weekly storytimes and rhymetimes, please click the 'Documents' tab