The Parks and Countryside service is very grateful for the support of the hundreds of volunteers who work with us every year.
There are three main types of volunteer opportunities in parks and countryside:
- Longer term volunteer roles for individuals, including work placements for over 18s
- Volunteer groups that are affiliated to particular sites or service areas, such as ‘Friends of’ Roundhay Park or Leeds Wildlife Volunteers.
- Outside organisations that want to volunteer on a one off or infrequent basis. This can include corporate groups on team building days.
The kinds of work that volunteers do for the parks and countryside service varies greatly. Some examples include:
- Practical work to improve green spaces for people and wildlife including gardening, nature conservation and maintaining site infrastructure such as paths and fences
- Fundraising for site improvements
- Organising community events
- Being the ‘eyes and ears’ of a site
- Surveying wildlife
- Running community cafes in parks
You can find out more by reading the leaflets in the Documents section of the page or check out the further information section below.