The Arts Floor
The Arts Floor is on the 1st floor of Central library and includes the Music and Performing Arts Library, the Art library, Studio 12 and the Exhibition Space.
Music and Performing Arts Library
- Performance sets are now available for loan to music and drama groups. These include an impressive collection of orchestral and vocal sets, wind band sets and part songs which are available for loan to groups. Single copies of vocal scores and sets of chamber music can also be borrowed by individuals. In addition we have over 12000 play sets and welcome students of drama, theatre groups and drama enthusiasts to browse and borrow from our diverse collection.
Registering your group is simple. Contact the library for details of how to join and latest fees or download the registration pack and application form in the documents section.
- The library holds a specialist book stock of over 10,000 items and has a wide range of resources to support performance and study for both individuals and groups. The library also stocks a large range of sheet music covering most genres and instruments as well as tuition guides to help you learn to play.
- Try listening to something different by borrowing from our varied collections of CDs. We also have a unique collection of music from local artists. Add your own CD to the CD Central collection or borrow music by local artists for free. As a library member you can also take advantage of our music streaming service, Naxos Music Library, providing comprehensive coverage of the classical repertoire as well as a range of other musical styles.
- A selection of music magazines are available to read in the library. We also hold substantial backruns of selected titles. As a library member you can also access our emagazine service, which includes some music titles.
- Special collections include the Taphouse Collection, consisting of eighteenth century music scores, as well as a beautiful collection of Victorian Songsheets.
- The Art library has 25,000 books for loan on all aspects of art and design including painting, sculpture, crafts and architecture plus a wide range of current and historic journals, dictionaries, exhibition catalogues and sales guides.
- The friendly and knowledgeable staff will be happy to help you find the book you need or answer your enquiry. They can also arrange tours of the library and arrange talks about stock and services for students and interested groups.
- The Art Library is a member of LALIC (Leeds Art Libraries in Co-operation), along with Leeds College of Art, Leeds Metropolitan University, The University of Leeds, and The Henry Moore Institute. A list of the arts journals held by member libraries can be found by clicking on the 'Documents' section.
Art Full Text - you will need youe library card number to use this resource
Naxos Music Library - music clips available for online listening
Oxford Art Online
Oxford Music Online