Discover your family history and research the local area in the Local and Family History library, located on the 2nd floor of Leeds Central Library.
- Collection of over 180,000 items – books, local newspaper archive, journals, directories, maps, photographs, electoral registers, playbills and parish records.
- Take a look at our new Leodis Collections interface which brings together images on specific topics and uses open source maps to highlight their location.
- Focus on Leeds and West Yorkshire – fiction, history, geography, religion, education and natural history. Significant publications covering the rest of Yorkshire.
- Online resources including free access to Ancestry.com (in all Leeds libraries).
- Staff on hand to help with general enquiries, plus one-to-one and drop-in sessions for help with more detailed research.
- Regular events – lunchtime talks, learning sessions (see below) and more.
An FAQ and further information on all our services can be viewed in the Documents section of this page.
Ordering copies of certificates
If you wish to purchase a certificate please visit the order certificates page (see External links) for more information. For family history applications, the minimum information we require is the first name, surname, quarter and year, and the registration district.
Where possible please supply an index reference from the Yorkshire BMD website. This will aid the search for the certificate.
Keep up with latest news and events with our quarterly newsletter, available in the Documents section of this page.
Fragments of War
For details of events and displays commemorating the anniversary of the Somme please see our booklet in the documents section.
Find out more about the history of Leeds and Yorkshire in our free monthly local history talks. All are welcome. No booking is required but places are limited, so we advise arriving early to avoid disappointment. All talks are 1pm to 2pm in Room 700 at Leeds Central library.
- 22 July, 1-2pm, Room 700 – Tim Lynch, military historian and author – Re-thinking the Leeds Pals: People, Places and Contexts
- 19 August, 1-2pm, Room 700 – Eve Tidswell, Friends of Holbeck Cemetery - Holbeck Victorians, innovators, inventors and a Champion Swimmer of the World
- 23 September, 1-2pm, Room 700 – Irish Arts Foundation – the Irish Community in post-war Leeds.
Family History Workshops
We offer free family history workshops for those just beginning their family tree. These are one-off sessions looking at the basic resources that can be used in genealogical research.
The next dates are:
- Saturday 30 July, 10.30am -12noon, The Portal
- Monday 12 September, 5.15 -6.45pm, The Portal
- Saturday 22 October, 10.30am -12noon, The Portal
- Wednesday 16 November, 2.30-4pm, The Portal
- Wednesday 14 December, 2.30-4pm, The Portal
All workshops are held at the Central Library. Booking is essential - see contact details.
Family History Drop-in
We currently run a monthly family history drop-in session for those who are having difficulty with an aspect of their research. These operate on a drop-in basis with no need to book.
- Wednesday 20 July, 10am -12 noon, The Portal
- Wednesday 21 September, 10am -12 noon, The Portal
- Wednesday 26 October, 10am -12 noon, The Portal
- Wednesday 23 November, 10am -12 noon, The Portal
- Wednesday 21 December, 10am -12 noon, The Portal
If you’re unable to visit the library, staff will answer quick enquiries received by email, letter or telephone free of charge. For more detailed research, a fee will apply (contact us to find out more).
Join the mailing list
Contact us to be added to our mailing list and receive regular updates on upcoming events and activities.
Industrial Heritage Trail app
Pick up (or download from our documents section) a copy of our Leeds Industrial Heritage Trail, which gives an introduction to the story of Leeds, concentrating on the legacy of Victorian times and some of the people, places and spaces that have made the city what it is today. It provides you with all the information you need to follow the trail around the historic buildings of central Leeds and along the waterways; as well as details of other places of interest in and around the city.
You can also download the app at www.yourtrailsapp.co.uk/leeds
Opening hours and contact details
Monday 9am to 7pm
Tuesday 9am to 7pm
Wednesday 9am to 7pm
Thursday 9am to 6pm
Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday 10am to 5pm
Sunday 11am to 3pm
Tel/Fax: (0113) 247 8290
Local and Family History Library
2nd Floor, Central Library