Discover your local and family history in the Local and Family History library, located on the 2nd floor in the Central Library.
- Collections include around 180,000 items - books, journals, directories, maps, photographs, prints, playbills and microfilms
- Focus on Leeds with significant publications of Yorkshire with the emphasis on West Yorkshire.
- Online resources including Ancestry in all our libraries and Origins available in the Central library
- Local History - anything to do with Leeds and Yorkshire – history, geography, religion, education and natural history.
- Family History – a fast-growing area of popularity, for which we have a wide variety of resources.
New! Volunteering opportunities
Volunteering opportunities are now available to research WW1 war memorials and research Leeds in WW1 using our collections. See related page 'Volunteering in libraries' for full details.
NEW! Our Lunchtime talks for 2014 are now available in the documents section. The next talk in the series is :
9 May 2014: ‘The History of Leeds Central Library’
Louise Birch, Leeds Library & Information Service –
Venue: Meeting Room, 3rd Floor
We offer a wide range of free local and family history learning sessions in the Central Library these include:
- Family History for Beginners
- Maps and Trade Directories
- Tracing your Family History online
- Local History online
All these sessions are FREE but booking is essential. You will also need to be able to use a computer for the online sessions.
If you are unable to visit the library, staff will answer quick enquiries received by e-mail, letter or telephone free of charge. For more detailed research requests a charge is made.
Join our mailing list
Contact us to be added to the mailing list and receive regular updates on upcoming events and activities.
Further information on our services can be viewed in 'Documents'
Monday 09.00 - 20.00
Tuesday 09.00 - 20.00
Wednesday 09.00 - 20.00
Thursday 09.00 - 17.00
Friday 09.00 - 17.00
Saturday 10.00 - 17.00
Sunday 13.00 - 17.00
Tel: 0113 2478290, firstname.lastname@example.org
Local and Family History Library
2nd Floor, Central Library
Leeds LS1 3AB