Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Grazing and mowing land

​We have land across the metropolitan district available for grazing.  There are also areas which we let for mowing, where you can apply for a licence to mow grass for hay or silage. We will usually only offer sites that are a reasonable distance from the applicants home. We do not permit overwintering of livestock in order to protect the condition of the land.  

Grazing licences normally run from the beginning of April to the end of November, and  mowing licences from April to the end of September. No buildings, shelters or other structures are permitted, and the grazier is expected to ensure the fencing is stock-proof and that adequate water is provided. 

The best time to apply is between November and the end of January. We send out details of  grazing and mowing licences during February and March each year and ask applicants to complete an offer form. We let applicants know if they are successful by the end of March. Late requests are not usually successful. 

If you are aware of an area of land which is not being used and that you think has potential for grazing please let us know so we can investigate to see if it can be made available.

Application form
If you are interested in our grazing and mowing sites and would like to go onto our list of interested parties, please complete the form in the documents section of this page and email it to Neil.Sims@leeds.gov.uk. .

In February we will send you an offer form for you to submit your bid for all areas suitable for your needs.

Should you have any questions please use the 'contact us' tab, alternatively please telephone Neil Sims on (0113) 2477816 â€‹â€‹