Register of Common Land, Town or Village Greens
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Register of Common Land, Town or Village Greens

The register is a statutory register open for inspection by any member of the public during reasonable office hours and an appointment is required. There is no charge for this service.

If you would like more information or you wish to make an appointment to view, please contact us by email at

Common land is land usually in private ownership that now or in the past has had common rights over it. Common land is generally open, unfenced and remote particularly in the upland areas of England and Wales.

Town and village greens share a similar history to common land.  They are defined separately for the purposes of the Commons Registration Act 1965. Village greens are usually areas of land within defined settlements or geographical areas which local inhabitants can go onto for the exercise of lawful sports and pastimes. Typically these might include organised or ad-hoc games, picnics, fetes, dog-walking and other similar activities. Whilst land forming town or village greens may be privately owned, many greens are owned and maintained by local parish or town councils.

We keep a register of commons and towns or village greens. You can apply for an official search of the register by ticking Enquiry 22 on Form Con29(O) Optional Enquiries which relates to Common Land and Village Greens. Usually a solicitor will fill this in and submit it to us although you can do this yourself. An Alternative sources for data document (PDF 49.6KB), used to answer Con29R and O Forms, is available from the Documents section of this page. For fees please see the Local Land charges page.

Applications to register Town or Village Greens

One key component of the criteria for registering new town or village greens under section 15(1) of the Commons Act 2006 is that the land has been used 'as of right' (which means without permission, without force and without secrecy) for at least 20 years.

From 1 October 2013 the law has been amended to enable a landowner to deposit a Landowner Statement accompanied by a map, which brings an end to any period of recreational use 'as of right' over the land to which the statement and map relate.

Should you have any queries in respect of existing registrations or require any information with regard to the procedure for making and application to register a new town or village green under the Commons Act 2006, or should you wish to make an application to register a Landowner Statement, please email for a copy of the application form, notes of guidance and details of the fees payable.

An electronic version of the Register (XLS 93KB) is available from the Documents section on this page.

Currently Publicised Town or Village Green Applications


Further to the processing of the above application, the Council in its role as Commons Registration Authority (‘CRA’) has obtained authority to arrange the holding of a Public Local Inquiry before an independent Inspector into the full range of issues arising from the application, and the objections to it.

The dates for the Inquiry are to be Tuesday 5 December to Friday 8 December 2017 inclusive, continuing the following Tuesday to Thursday, as necessary. The venue will be the Council Chamber, Civic Hall, Calverley Street LS1 1UR.

The Inquiry will generally sit between 10.00am and 5.00pm, with a one-hour break for lunch at around 1.00pm. All persons attending the Inquiry, will be asked to sign an attendance list on each day they attend.

The closest public pay and display car park is situated at the Rose Bowl. This car park is split into two sections; an open-air car park directly outside the Rose Bowl and an underground car park below. Both car parks are accessible via Portland Crescent.

For the avoidance of doubt, it is not necessary for individual Objectors to attend or to participate in the Inquiry, unless they are to appear as an oral witness for the Principal Objectors or wish to speak in their own right. All existing written objections and representations, will be fully taken into account by the Inspector in any event, as part of his overall deliberations.

The order in which witnesses will be heard and a provisional timetable for the conduct of the Inquiry is likely to be set out by the Inspector, in conjunction with main parties, on the first morning.

Following the conclusion of the Inquiry, the Inspector will produce a report for the Registration Authority in respect of the evidence and submissions which he has heard and received, with conclusions and recommendations as to the resolution of the Application. The completion of the report may take up to a few months, depending on the caseload of the Inspector.

The findings of the Inspector will subsequently be reported to the relevant Plans Panel of the Council, which is responsible for determining the Application. All interested parties will be notified of the outcome as soon as possible thereafter.

Commencement of corrective applications under the Commons Act 2006

From the 1 December 2014 the government will bring into force two parts of the Commons Act 2006 which will allow the rectification of the Village Green and Commons Registers in limited circumstances.

People will have the power to apply to Leeds City Council to amend the registers of common land and TVGs under Section 19(2)(a) of the Commons Act 2006 to correct a mistake made by your authority (or its predecessors); and under paragraphs 6 to 9 of Schedule 2 of the Commons Act 2006 to remove buildings/land that were wrongly registered either as common land or town or village green.

The Guidance on how these applications should be made and how they will be processed will be available from the DEFRA website.

Section 19(2)(a) states that people can apply to correct a mistake made by the Commons Registration Authority in making or amending an entry in the register. This would be a mistake in law by the Registration Authority or a mistake in registering land that was not in the original application plan. There will be no charge for these applications. For all for applications made under paragraphs 6 -9 of Schedule 2 of the Commons Act 2006, a fee of £1000 is payable to Leeds City Council.​​​


To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?