Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Pre-application enquiries

Before an application is submitted, it may be useful to discuss your proposal with planning officers.  We particularly encourage pre-application on major schemes.  Our informal advice will give you an indication if your proposal is likely to be approved or to highlight issues that need to be addressed.  We will also tell you what you would need to submit with any application that you make.

We charge for pre-application advice on major applications, but all other advice is free of charge.  In order to provide the best possible advice it is important that you  provide us with as much clear information as possible regarding your development.  A form to apply for advice and checklist covering some of the issues to consider are available from the Documents part of the page. 

A range of information is available both to help decide whether planning permission is needed ('permitted development') and what to consider before applying (please see the Related page).  If your application has been refused we will provide free advice if you want to reapply.  We also offer a Duty Planner service to deal with general enquiries.

For major schemes we would encourage you to use a Planning Performance Agreement (PPA).  This is an agreement with us, signed before your application is submitted, which lays out a project plan covering key stages and dates.  A proforma for applying and a leaflet explaining more about PPAs is available from the Documents part of the page.

If you want to apply for permission for more than 2 turbines or for any turbine where the hub height exceeds 15m, you must undertake compulsory community consultation before submitting your application.  You must provide details of how the consultation was carried out, responses received and how these were taken into account with your planning application.‚Äč