Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Permitted development - do I need planning permission

Some types of development do not need planning permission. This is called 'permitted development'. The rules can change so you should check what the latest position is before you begin to build. A range of interactive guides are available covering some of the common building projects together with the​ ​guide to permitted development for householders. ​

If you want us to tell you whether you need permission we offer this service for a fee. Please complete the Permitted Development Enquiry Form in the Documents section on this page and pay your fee. We will check this and send you a letter within 10 working days telling you whether you need permission or not.

However, if you want a formal planning decision you can apply for a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Development including for Proposed Works to a Listed Building.

Even if you do not need planning permission you may still need Building Regulations consent, please check the Related Pages section for further information.

A form is available to apply for a larger single storey rear extension with a guidance note to complete the form. Information on the Householder Prior Approval process used to make a decision on these is available from the Documents part of the page.

From 6 April 2014 permitted development rights have been extended for some changes of use using a Prior Approval process where you formally apply to us. There is a fee for these applications which are:

Class J from offices to dwellings, Class K state funded schools/registered nursery,​ Class M​ flexible uses in agricultural buildings, Class MA agricultural building to state funded school/registered nursery, Class MB agricultural building to dwelling and Class IA Class A1 and A2 to dwelling. Please note: from 31 July 2014 the fee for Class MB and Class IA with building work is increased from £80 to £172.  New guidance has been issued for changes of use of agricultural building on 6 March 2015.

There is also a Prior Notification process for the following changes of use and forms are available from the Documents part of the page.

Class D (A1-5, B1, D1 & 2 to A1-3 and B1), Class M (agricultural under 150 sq m) to flexible use and Class CA from A1 to bank, building society, credit union or friendly society.
- Completion Notification for Class A developments are available from the Documents part of the page.

Local Development Orders in the Aire Valley area

These Orders effectively extend permitted development rights for certain types of developments in this area - refer to the Related Page for more information and the forms.​​​​​

Can I apply to change the use of offices to student accommodation under the new prior approval rules?

No, these are not classed as C3 dwellings and would need full planning permission.

I already have a 2 storey rear extension, can I extend this to 6m under the new rules?

No, the new rules only apply where the extension is single storey up to 4m high.

I have an existing single storey rear extension, can I extend this to 6m under the new rules?

Yes, you can apply to extend upto 6m for an attached property or 8m for a detached property providing it is under 4m high.

Can I extend beyond the existing side wall of my property under the new rules?

No, the extension cannot extend beyond the original side wall of the property or attach to an existing side extension (wrap-round).