Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Complaints, compliments and feedback - let us know

Tell us what you think about our service – we are always glad to hear from you!  If you want to tell us about something we have done well, something you want to feedback or something you want make a complaint about, this page will tell you how.

Report a service issue - use one of these top tasks:

  • Problems with your bin - follow link for issue with your bin, for example report a missed bin collection;
  • Report a street cleansing issue;
  • Report a road defect - report an issue with a road, for example pothole;
  • Appeal a parking penalty; and
  • Report a noise nuisance.

Compliments, complaints and feedback - use this top task to:

  • Give a compliment - tell us about something we have done well; 
  • Feedback - tell us your experience of Leeds City Council so that we know how we need to improve in the future; or
  • Make a complaint - are you unhappy about a service you have received and want us to investigate?
    Please note, if you wish to make an initial service request please use another top task so we can action it

For compliments, complaints and feedback about Children's Services please follow the external link Complaints to Children's Services.

For compliments, complaints and feedback about Leeds City Councillors please the related page 'Code of Conduct' for further information.

What happens next:

When a complaint is made our aim is to acknowledge your complaint in 3 working days and provide you with a response within 15 working days. For information on our corporate compliments and complaints policy see our Frequently asked questions and the Documents section.

If you remain dissatisfied after you have complained to us, we will give you information about the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is an independent public body who can investigate how the council has handled your complaint. For information about the Local Government Ombudsman, or your separate right of appeal for some housing complaints, please see our External links and Frequently asked questions.

For anything else

  • Email us using the 'Contact us' form on this page.

Frequently asked questions:

Who do I contact to make a complaint or compliment?

You can complete our Contact Us e-form which is linked to this page. You can speak to an advisor on 0113 222 4405. Or visit us at your local One Stop Centre. Go to the 'Where I Live' tab at the top of the page to find the details of your nearest one stop centre.

What happens after I have made a complaint?

Leeds City Council has a 2 stage policy. However complaints about either adult or children’s social care issues are dealt with under separate statutory timescales – please refer to our compliments and complaints policy for further details.

Stage 1:
Stage 1 of a complaint is the first formal stage and our policy is to respond in full to you within fifteen working days of receipt of your complaint, wherever operationally possible. 

Stage 2:
If you remain dissatisfied following our investigation at stage 1, you can ask for your complaint to be looked at again by a more senior officer. Our policy is to respond within the same timescales as stage 1.

Next steps:
There is no further right of appeal to the Council. Our response at stage 2 will contain the contact details for the Local Government Ombudsman’s office. ​​

How quickly will you respond to my complaint?

When dealing with complaints, it is our aim to resolve the complaint and leave you feeling that it was handled fairly and appropriately. We will aim to respond to your complaint within 15 working days. Complaints about either adult or children’s social care issues are dealt with under separate statutory timescales – please refer to our compliments and complaints policy for further details. ​

How do I make a complaint about a councillor or a member of parliament?

​Complaints about councillors or members of parliament are not covered under the council’s corporate complaints policy

For complaints about councillors
please write to:-
Governance Services unit
4th Floor West
Civic Hall
E-mail: councillorconduct@leeds.gov.uk

For complaints about members of parliament please write to:-
Office of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards
House of Commons
Email: standardscommissioner@parliament.uk
Tel:020 7219 1883

How do you deal with a complaint of fraud, theft or corruption by a member of your staff?

​We are committed to being open and accountable for our staff. If you have serious concerns about a member of Leeds City Council’s staff or the misuse of council resources, please come forward and let us know. All concerns will be treated in the strictest of confidence. Please write to:

Internal Audit,
3rd Floor West,
Civic Hall,
Leeds LS1 1GF

Email: concerns@leeds.gov.uk
Tel: 0113 2474645.

Who are 'designated persons', and how can I contact them?

​From 1 April 2013 the Localism Act 2011 put into place new arrangements if you are dissatisfied with the council's final response to your complaint about some housing issues.  Under the new arrangements, you have the option to approach a ‘designated person’ before complaining to the Housing Ombudsman.
A designated person can be any local councillor, any MP in England, or a recognised independent tenant panel (not currently in place in Leeds).
To find details of your Leeds councillors, either by ward or by political party, go to the council’s website at: www.leeds.gov.uk/councillors 
A list of MP’s is available at: www.parliament.uk
You will need to give your consent to the designated person to act on your behalf.  A copy of our advocacy form is available under the documents tab.

What is a designated person's role? Can I go direct to the Housing Ombudsman with my complaint?

A designated person has a number of options open to them. Within 8 weeks of you receiving the council's final response, they can:
a. Seek to resolve your complaint with the council
b. Choose to refer your complaint directly to the Housing Ombudsman. They must do this in writing, and have your written consent to do this. The Housing Ombudsman will accept complaints by email at info@housing-ombudsman.org.uk
c. Decide not to investigate your complaint or refer the matter to the Housing Ombudsman. They must confirm this in writing to you. If you choose not to contact a designated person, you must allow 8 weeks from the date of the council's final response before you contact the Housing Ombudsman.
The only exception to this is if a designated person has decided not to take any action (option c). If the designated person has confirmed this in writing to you, you do not have to wait 8 weeks before you approach the Housing Ombudsman. ​