Planning for Householders
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Increase in planning application fees from 17 January 2018

Most planning applications require a fee to be paid and the Government has announced its intention to increase planning fees by 20%.

Please follow this link for more information

Planning for Householders

Please note:- The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) will be implemented from 6 April 2015 and will be payable on planning applications for new dwellings or where new floor area exceeds 100 sq metres which are granted after this date.  An additional CIL form will need to be completed from 9 February 2015.  See Related Page for more information on CIL.
If you want to make any alterations to your home, first check whether you need planning permission or whether it is 'permitted development​'. 

Where to send planning applications
Please send your planning applications to Planning Services, Leonardo Building, 2 Rossington Street, Leeds, LS2 8HD or you can use the Planning Portal to submit online.
How to apply
You can use the householder application form for extensions or to building a garage. There is a fee of £172 (unless it is fee exempt). You can also use this form if you want to remove a condition that restricts the use of a garage if you are doing other work at the same time. However, a higher fee relating to the removal of condition will apply. (If you live in a flat you must use the full planning application form.)

There is a guidance note to help you fill in the form. Details of what you need to send with your application, the Householder Design Guide and other useful information is available from the Documents part of the page.

Householder Application Form
Householder Guidance Notes
Householder Notice if you do not own all the land
Make an application online
CIL Additional Questions Form
CIL Additional Questions Guidance Notes

We aim to make a decision in 8 weeks and more information about the process and planning appeals are available. Use Public Access to find out how your application is progressing (see Related Pages).

Additional information
A recent High Court judgement has found that the advice in the DCLG “Permitted Development for Householders - Technical Guidance” document is incorrect in relation one of the conditions for permitted development roof extensions. The High Court has found that that the 20cm set back should be measured from the closest point of the projecting eaves, which is the intersection with the wall, rather than from the outer edge of the projecting eaves (as advised by the above DCLG Technical Guidance document).

From 30 May 2013, new permitted development rights have been introduced for larger single storey rear extensions using a 'Prior Approval Process'. Information on how the process works and what you need to provide can be found on the Documents part of the page.

Form to apply for a larger single storey rear extension.
Guidance note to complete the form.

You may also need Building Regulations approval for any building work.

If you live in a listed building you will also need to apply for listed building consent. If you plan to do any work which affects a wall you share with your neighbour or is on the boundary of your shared properties or you will dig within 3 to 6 metres of your neighbours property, you will need to get agreement from your neighbours (Party Wall Act) - see Related Pages.

Click to expandI have a restrictive condition on the use of my garage, how can I get this changed?

If you are doing other work on your property, complete the householder application form and pay £172 fee. If you are not doing other work, complete the Variation of Condition form and pay fee £195. Please contact us for advice before you submit an application.

Click to expandWhat do I need to do to comply with the Party Wall Act?

The link to the Party Wall Act explanatory booklet will help you.

GOV.UK site link

Click to expandI already have a 2 storey rear extension, can I extend this to 6m under the new rules?

No, the new rules only apply where the extension is single storey up to 4m high.

Click to expandI have an existing single storey rear extension, can I extend this to 6m under the new rules?

Yes, you can apply to extend upto 6m for an attached property or 8m for a detached property providing it is under 4m high.

Click to expandCan I extend beyond the existing side wall of my property under the new rules?

No, the extension cannot extend beyond the original side wall of the property or attach to an existing side extension (wrap-round).

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?