What is the Aire Valley Leeds Area Action Plan (AVLAAP)
The City Council is preparing an Area Action Plan (AAP) which will provide the future planning framework to guide the regeneration of an area of the Lower Aire Valley. This area between Leeds city centre and the M1 and beyond is referred to as Aire Valley Leeds.
The area contains over 400 hectares of development land which can help meet Leeds’ need for housing and provide new jobs.
What has been done so far?
The plan has to go through various stages in its preparation.
Work has been in progress since 2005 when ‘Early Issues for consultation’ was published. In 2006, the council consulted on some Alternative Options and then on Preferred Options in 2007.
Since 2007 some of the proposals have been revisited to take account of:
• the downturn in the economy post 2008 which has impacted on the viability of development;
• potential new ways of funding infrastructure;
• the need to make development sustainable e.g. promoting energy efficiency and green energy and industry;
• The Leeds Core Strategy and changes to national planning policy;
An informal consultation took place in 2011 to ask views on two key changes. These were:
• The promotion of the area as an Urban Eco Settlement (UES).
• Proposed boundary changes to include parts of the City Centre, Hunslet and Richmond Hill.
• The Enterprise Zone which started in April 2012.
Publication Draft Consultation
The Aire Valley Leeds Area Action Plan Publication Draft was subject to formal public consultation for 8 weeks from 22 September until 16 November 2015. You can view the consultation documents from page Aire Valley Leeds Area Action Plan Publication Draft.
What happens next
Having considered the responses to the plan, the proposed modicfications to the Publication Draft AVLAAP and next steps are detailed in a report to Development Plan Panel on 10th May 2016 . The council is intending to submit the plan to the Secretary of State in the Autumn 2016. The Council are progressing the plan in advance of the Site Allocations Plan.