Free insulation could be the key to keeping your home cool now that summer has decided to put in an appearance.
Although insulating your home with cavity wall or loft insulation is associated with keeping warm in winter, it can actually help keep temperatures inside your house lower while it soars outside.
The team behind Leeds’ free insulation scheme is advising people that the properties in loft and cavity wall insulation that stop heat escaping when it’s cold outside, can also stop it getting in too – like a thermos flask.
Wrap Up Leeds will insulate your home for free, as long as you live in Leeds and own your own home or rent it privately.
The team doesn’t want the sunny weather to put people off getting their home insulated as the free offer is only available until September.
Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for the environment said:
“There’s never been a better time to get your home insulated. Not only will the offer be coming to an end soon, it could keep your home cooler and offer some respite from warmer temperatures.”
Councillor David Blackburn, chair of the council’s cross-party environment and climate change working group said:
“Insulation might not be at the top of your priority list in this great weather, but we don’t want people to wait until the autumn and potentially miss out.”
Estimates show that once insulated, people could save up to £300 a year on their energy bills. That’s a lot to spend on ice cream and refreshing drinks during any sunny summer.
Call 0800 052 0071 or email email@example.com to find out how to get your free insulation or apply online at www.wrapupleeds.co.uk.
The 0800 number is free from most landline providers, but may not be free from mobile networks. If you would prefer, please call Wrap Up Leeds on 01484 351 779.
People can still benefit from the refer a friend offer introduced recently. If you refer a friend or family member to Wrap Up Leeds and they go on to have cavity wall or loft insulation installed, you’ll receive a £20 high street shopping vouchers.
About Wrap Up Leeds
- Wrap Up Leeds is available to all homeowners and privately rented tenants (where landlord’s permission has been granted) in the Leeds City Council area only.
- Free cavity wall insulation, loft insulation (where less than 60mm of loft insulation currently exists) and loft ‘top up’s’ (where more than 60mm but less than 160mm of loft insulation currently exists) are available under the scheme.
- A free, technical survey of the property will confirm that the work will definitely be free and much larger properties or those that need extensive scaffolding may be asked to pay a contribution towards the work.
- Savings of £1,653,750 on energy bills is estimated to be saved from Wrap Up Leeds which is based on installing cavity wall insulation in 6,000 homes, laying insulation in over 3,000 empty lofts and ‘topping up’ a further 5,850 lofts.
- The ‘refer a friend’ offer applies to anyone. Anyone can refer a friend regardless of whether they have had insulation installed themselves. £20 high street shopping vouchers will be given to the referrer. The vouchers will only be honoured if the friend’s property is insulated with at least one measure under the Wrap up Leeds scheme. The referral must be made before the application is processed. The referrer’s name, address and telephone number, must be provided with the referral. The referral must be made by returning the card or giving details over the phone.
For media enquiries please contact:
Amanda Burns, Leeds City Council press office (0113) 247 5704
Ellie Lyon, Yorkshire Energy Services Marketing Executive on 01484 352010