Environmental permits
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Environmental permits

​Under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016, local authorities must regulate certain types of industrial processes and other activities such as dry cleaners. This is to reduce any pollution they may cause and, in particular, to help improve air quality. Businesses which operate these premises must have a permit.

A regulated facility includes: 

  • installations or mobile plant carrying out listed activities 
  • waste operations (unless an exempt waste operation)
  • waste mobile plant 
  • mining waste operations 

Listed activities include: 

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquefaction and refining activities 
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals 
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass 
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk 
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste 
  • solvents - using solvents 
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming 

Permits are issued by the Environment Agency or your local authority (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within: 

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plant are regulated by the Environment Agency  Part A(2) installations are regulated by the local authority
  • Part B installations or mobile plant are regulated by the local authority (except where waste operations are carried out at Part B installations, in which case the installation is regulated by the Environment Agency)
  • Waste operations or waste mobile plant (carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants) are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency 

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including: 

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency 
  • waste reduction 
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention 

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

For local authorities the regulation of Part B activities is known as Local Air Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC), and the regulation of A2 activities as Local Authority Industrial Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC). Together they form the Local Authority Pollution Control (LAPC) regime.


Click to expandThe application process

Applications must be made on the form provided by us and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation. Application and registration forms are available within the Documents section on this page.

If further information is required you will be notified by us and must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.​

Applications that are not duly made will normally be returned along with any fee.

We will normally determine the application within 4 months of receipt (3 months for dry cleaners).

We will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air water and land.

As the regulator we may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and the regulator must be satisfied that they must operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.​​​​

Click to expandHow will we notify you?

You will be notified in writing of any decisions relating to your application.​

Click to expandAppeals

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

Compensation may be payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land. ​

Click to expandChanges to a permit

Once a permit has been granted there are additional forms (see the documents section) which must be submitted should an operator request a transfer, variation, or surrender of a permit; or wish to declare a reduced operation.

Click to expandWaste exemption operation registrations

Operators of equipment which either crushes, grinds or otherwise reduces the size of bricks, tiles or concrete Or heats metals and metal alloys for the purpose of removing grease, oil or any other non metallic component that is trivial within the meaning of paragraph 6(3) of Part 1 of Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations may apply to the local authority for a T7 or T3 exemption registration using the form provided in the documents section.

If you are unsure if your operation is deemed to be trivial or not please refer to the Defra guidance ​

Click to expandFees and charges for environmental permits

There are various fees and charges in relation to pollution prevention and control permits:
-An operator must pay the relevant application fee to obtain a permit for a prescribed activity
-A fee may be payable if there are substantial changes to permit
-Operators must pay an annual subsistence fee ​

A2 installations charging scheme (PDF)

Part B installations charging scheme (PDF)

Click to expandPublic consultations

For some types of applications, the general public are invited to make comments.

The application and accompanying documents with an application, provide the necessary information to allow the public to make informed comments. These can provide us with facts and views that will help with the final decision regarding the determination of a new application.

Applications that you may wish to view or comment on will be on this page when they are available.

Comments can be made via e mail to epteam@Leeds.gov.uk, or in writing to:
Environmental Protection Team

Department of Environment and Housing

Leeds City Council

Millshaw Park Way



LS11 0LS.

Click to expandCurrent consultations

There are no consultations at the moment.

​​​​ ​​​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?