Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Taxi and private hire trade information

This page contains information that is particularly relevant to those working in the taxi and private hire trade. You can download further forms (including renewal forms), guidance documents and minutes of meetings from the expandable Documents section on this page.

I'm interested in becoming a private hire operator...

​​I'm interested in becoming a private hire operator, what do I need to apply?

Please see section 4.2 of our guide to obtaining a private hire licence, available in the documents section, for a comprehensive overview.​

How do you keep me informed of changes to policy or updates to the service?

We are keen to improve the way we interact and communicate with the licensed trade and the quickest and easiest way for us to do this is via email. 

By providing us with an email address we can reach you directly when we need to share important information or consult upon changes.

A quarterly newsletter is produced by the Section which aims to be informative and useful to you. This is sent out electronically where we hold an email address or posted out to your home address.

We also hold regular forums with both Hackney carriage and private hire representatives.  These give us the opportunity to inform you of any changes being considered and provide an opportunity for trade representatives to let us know about any their issues and give feedback on consultation issues.

>Minutes from previous forums are available to view and download from the Documents section of this page. 

Who approves changes to policy and the introduction of new policies?

The Licensing Committee deals with business related to the Taxi and Private Hire Section, the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005 and is made up of elected members with responsibility for developing and approving important policies.

Further information can be found by following in the External links section.​

How do you review the service you offer?

We undertake regular customer satisfaction surveys and the feedback from these surveys is vital to our success and development. The results of these surveys and what we have done in response to them are available to view and download.

I am a private hire driver and want to become a Hackney carriage driver. What do I need to do?

Find a current Hackney Carriage proprietor to sponsor you and then complete a new application, including a DBS check. You must undergo a local knowledge test and attend a disability awareness seminar. If you have not already undertaken one, you will also need to pass an English comprehension test.

How can I appeal against a suspension, revocation or refusal to grant a licence?

You must contact the Magistrates Court directly within 21 days of the date on your decision letter.

What do I do if I have picked up points for speeding?

Always let us know, in writing, if you receive any conviction, caution or motoring endorsement within 72 hours.

If it is a motoring endorsement, do not wait for your licence to come back from the DVLA before telling us.

Did you find the information you were looking for?

Follow us:

  • facebook
  • twitter